[SEASON 2] Chapter 21

Remain calm. Steady your heartbeat. Being alongside different breeds of immeasurable power for months wasn't a big difference to your life. You can handle this, Clay.

Kiara's advice of me screaming fell null as the situation prevented me from making a sound.

A four-walled space. A single pristine mirror that seemed to overwhelm everything else inside because of its quality. Gura's fingers were soaked with a dark coat of blood, like baleful sharp charcoal that could sink into any material. Streaks of crimson glistened on her hair, her eyes emitting the light of an incongruous chandelier in this dusky room.

Was this even Gura?

She laughed from the depths of the unknown, a big reverb followed, swallowing any ounce of hope I had in escaping and formulating a solution. One, two, three, her claws slid against the wall. Hubris. Overwhelming non-cordiality engulfed her.

"A human is actually here? Never thought I'd see the day... Hm... I suppose a 'day' doesn't exist anymore in this depressing place people once called a utopia." She turned my face to look at her, her claws ever-so gently rubbing against my chin. The difference in height didn't matter. I was forced to look down at her but it was clear who was being dominated here. "Are you worried? Afraid I'm going to do something?"

Calm down, Clay. Calm down. I have to assess things quickly. I saw Gura and the others in the kitchen just a few minutes ago. She was an amazing actor if she could pull off this demonic persona but knowing the context, she was intent on finding out what caused Atlantis to transform in such a state.

Another Gura. Another Gura was in Atlantis. When Ina said she sensed someone other than us being here, she wasn't lying. This other version of Gura could be the culprit. If I did anything stupid or rash, she would probably go for the throat and rip my heart out. If I scream, I was probably going to be dead.

Say something, Clay. She's waiting for your answer.

"Where did you come from...?" I ask with a tone I perceived to be just optimal. Not too loud or too quiet. I couldn't afford to slip up. The person I'm dealing with right now wasn't an ally or someone I knew. She looked just like Gura but even if I was human, I could tell there was something amiss.

"From there," she pointed, slowly stretching her arm towards the mirror, a wide grin on her face. "Naturally, a predator makes sure to thank their prey by eating them but since you looked into the mirror with your emotions conflicted, I used that as a key to get out of there. So, thanks, pal. I'll spare ya." She patted my back strong enough to send me to the floor.

I was thinking about how to repair my relationship with Calli. Who knew my problems would actually manifest into something this gigantic? I wanted to face-palm myself.

Since she felt grateful, I could probably use this chance to ask her questions. She must've realized I was with the others so her stance looked like she was ready to jump out at any moment. I needed to make sure my questions didn't entail to me getting screwed over.

"I can ask for your name, then? If that's okay?"

"A name... Yes. I've been trapped in the mirror for so long I forgot..." She was looking at the ceiling like it held all the answers. Then she laughed like a maniac, the volume of her voice twisting into the atmosphere like a sinister chime, extending her claws on both sides. "But I'm me! Who needs a name when I know exactly what I'm capable of! I don't need to be identified to be a monster! I need no label! I'm only me!"

I was making a wild guess but...

"Were you the one who destroyed Atlantis?"

"I changed my mind! You're dead-" In the blink of an eye, the tips of her claws were headed straight for my heart.