[SEASON 2] Chapter 31

I'm Jean. I don't know who my parents are.

From a young age, my life was dictated around one major thing. To live or to die.

I gave up believing. I only moved without purpose.

My own parents left me by the seashore of an unknown beach. It was raining that day. I was almost carried away by the sea when a young woman saved me from the waves. She told me where she found me.

That was the day I had almost died to hunger and the cold.

I was transferred to an orphanage eventually.

I grew up like the other children. I played, read, and spoke like how they did. Until the end, all of them left and the old ones would be replaced by new ones. I was losing hope. I was going to be 14 years old.

And a person came to prevent that from happening.

"I'd like to adopt this child."

"Clay! You're good? His eyes opened. He's fine."

"Good job giving him that ancient rune, master." Zed's voice entered my ears. "We got more pressing matters to attend to right now if your boyfriend's fine. The nerdy detective's nowhere to be found."

"What do you mean pressing?" I looked closely and there was a big monster right in front of us. Its scales and size reminded me of those monsters you see in isekai shows. "Oh, that kind of pressing. And we're back in goo world, ugh."

"What's the height of that thing, you reckon?" Zed asked for curiosity. But my mind was heavily focused on the thing running towards us like a freight train. It looked like a more grotesque version of Godzilla but its height couldn't compare.

"Does it matter?" Calli released her scythe out of thin air.

"What happened while I was out..."

"It's one of Jean's fears. Big monsters. It's guarding her paralyzed state right inside the cell above us over there. Looks like the whole nightmare fiasco isn't solely dependent on killing the caster of the spell." Zed was pertaining to a big beating heart against the wall far away from us. Parts of the huge thing keeping her in place tangled around her arms and legs like a crucifix. "If we can just get her out of that enclosure, it's safe to say she'll wake up."

"I can go. You guys keep that monster distracted." They turn their eyes to me. I came up with it on the spot. I did think the plan was rather basic in words but I didn't want to think I couldn't do anything useful. "Believe in me. Just give me a fraction of your power to jump over there and I'll rip that thing keeping her in place."

"Clay...!" Calli held my wrist. "It's dangerous. You could fall down if you don't have a good grip, remain at a far distance from the monsters. Focus on saving Jean, avoid getting into a fight as much as you can. Me and Zed will handle it."

"I got it."

Zed infused a bit of his power with me and I instantly felt my legs become lighter.

"It only looks like a big monster but it's a corrupted megalith. If they attack in numbers, it's akin to a hundred velociraptors intent on ripping you apart."

We felt the ground rumble harder than last time.

"Are there more of those big monsters?!" 

"GUYS!!!" Amelia came rushing in the field along with... a bunch of Amelias? "They're unstable! My invention BACKFIRED! WAH!"

Surely enough, her claim was right. Hundreds of smaller Amelia Watsons entered the field, their unified chortles maniacal and vexing to the ears. 

"WATSON! Where have you been! Why are there many of you?!"