[SEASON 2] Chapter 25

3rd PERSON POV

Zed had proven thus far the qualifications of being a bona fide reaper. Clay couldn't deny he was malleable in a battlefield. His knowledge of the Underworld and Earth's inhabitants were mesmerizingly profound. He always had something in store to say at least when it came to his convictions.

"I'm tired! I'm tired! Gimme more food, Clay!"

Tonight was a cold night. The windows were closed, the TV was off, and the sound of cicadas outside provided an imperative calmness to soothe the feelings inside his chest threatening to wake up from its slumber.

Calli was sitting inside his living room on the couch, bare legs and thighs gleaming spread out highlighted by her orange chino shorts, rugged black-and-red jacket covering her Junoesque frame. The sight was nothing new if not for the fact his masculinity was slowly trying to manipulate him into doing something he should never consider. Pursuing feelings for their boss was not unheard of. But to successfully associate it with a long-lasting relationship could only last as commemoration as the only ending, a quick and blissful memory.

Today wasn't particularly a rough day at work. Calli told Zed to come back the next day so she could teach him what were the best routes and places to be when awaiting death to arrive. That'd mean they would have to warp from country to country and mark them down for a clearer visual than simply encircling the spots on a map and Clay wouldn't be able to go because Calli specifically told him he'd just get next-level nausea from all the fast travels.

"Surprisingly, a majority of humanity take their lives for granted. It's almost similar to the Underworld, where souls are easily disposable. Life is toiled away day-by-day when it should be precious and a majority of society would rather remain it that way than live it. I'm guessing Zed's been on Earth for more than a month." Clay read the exact same lines Zed spoke of when Calli had been dancing circles left and right parrying Zed's scythe.

"That fight was fun, right Clay?" Calli stretched her arms upward. "I don't think I've ever had a fight that exciting before."

"You sure? You're not exactly thrilled to fight him again from your expression." He shouldn't feel upset he couldn't spar with her. He was just a regular human, after all.

"Well, it's not the first time someone stood up to me like that so I guess I'm used to it? There are things that make me excited but my face doesn't say it, if that makes sense."

"Are you excited to see him again tomorrow?"

There it goes again. The budding insecurity welling up inside him. Clay wanted to say so much but bit his tongue. Not when his boss was clearly comfortable.

"Is Clayie Wayie, jeawous?~" Calli perfectly mimicked the tone of a baby, teasing Clay.

"It's a valid question."

"It's not everyday I get to teach so I am kind of looking forward to it."

That reply didn't make him smile.

Calli automatically switched gears.

"He sounds smart but he hasn't been all over the world. World beliefs generally tend to form based on the person's outlook and perspective on the activities of a populace," Calli was casually munching on a bag of chips Clay gave him, waving one in the air to reinforce her insight. "When I first visited Earth, I always had follow-up questions for every single assumption I withheld."

After signing the detailed records of the training today, Clay placed the clipboard down on the kitchen table, leaning on it to listen to Calli who was only a few meters away.