[SEASON 2] Chapter 27

Clay had felt it in the air of his room. There were things he needed to address in his life in order to move forward. Not to move on but to completely press on for his own good. For starters, he had already been handling his new life thus far. Finding a job was so far out of reach until Yagoo took a chance upon him. 

No one wanted to be partially liable for a man who'd committed acts society deemed unprofessional and vindictive. No sane person would hire someone who had shrapnel and explosives taped behind his back without a guarantee of benefits. The employment opportunities were definitely scarce; enlisting them one by one as glimpses in his dreams often served as a reminder he needed to work hard to change everyone's minds. 

He had been no slouch. Sure he contradicted his family's way of doing things but that was only because they'd taken things too far. Never giving him the time of day for a visit when he was behind bars. His case wasn't handled properly akin to most of reality's issues. When he thought about it clearly, he shouldn't have felt the scorching heat his knuckles produced when he heard some students badmouth about his family circumstances years ago. In hindsight, he should've just went home and tried convincing his family no matter how many times it took. He shouldn't have tried killing those kids. The case was treated as a physical assault perpetrated by high levels of stress.  

Being young gave so much freedom but a lot of room for error. Clay knew very well he couldn't have the same mind when he was ten or twenty years older. He needed to act now before it was too late. 

A week had passed since his confession with Calli and while their moments weren't plentiful in their new relationship just yet, the two became much closer. Clay didn't require another person for his abilities but Calli had been tremendous in giving him more courage. After work, the two would always be together and brainstorm on what to do next for their streams then it would escalate to them just playing games together in his apartment and cuddling one another to sleep. 

It had been a while since Clay had heard of his parents or what they were doing. It felt like he was always paralyzed whenever he saw their names. He'd flinch and turn away to do something else as a distraction. The surroundings of his room began to shift from dark to light as 5am regaled its introductions to him on a bright early morning. 

Today was the day to be courageous. 

"What are you doing...?" From the bed, Calli opened her groggy eyes to find Clay doing push-ups on the floor. Now what was this man doing first thing in the morning?

"I'm... trying... to... think..." He said in between each push, then he sat down after ten more. "A lot has happened this week. I didn't think Zed was that nice."

They had eaten at a sushi restaurant and Zed acting kind to everyone was like witnessing a baby talk. It was unreal. Even Kiara, who'd been the subject of Zed's remarks apologized and told her of his peculiarities. Ina and Gura hadn't seemed to mind and asked Zed all kinds of questions which led to everyone in the restaurant looking at them. Clay couldn't blame them. They were all too perfect, both in appearance and clothes. He was the only imperfection there.

"What's on your mind?" Like a light switch, Calli immediately got to a sitting position herself and gave Clay her full attention. "It's never a bad idea to share your thoughts. I can't help but think it's been on your mind for a few days given how much you space out a lot in my room."

She was his girlfriend. Supportive, kind, generous. There were too many qualities to describe her. 

"You know my family situation, right?" Calli nodded and knew where this was leading.

"I do. So what're you planning?"

Her mind was forcibly drilled of his past memories when they'd entered that strange domain in an island before. She didn't just know. She lived alongside his past self to see through everything. Through the first few days of their new relationship, Calli and Clay had both shared memories of what they had been like before, both known and unknown.