[SEASON 1] Chapter 8

"Let's go say hi," Calli pulled at my forearm, no brakes in her footsteps towards the lost soul. I couldn't understand what kind of emotions she's going through. She must've seen this unfold too many times as centuries rolled by like the tape reels of a cassette.

I wasn't afraid of ghosts or anything but now recognizing there's a point in my life I could see one paralyzed me in place. That didn't mean Calli had a difficult time dragging me closer to the kid. No, no, no, she practically pulled stronger than any magnet in the world.

In a place where customers and busy mothers were occupied traveling in myriads of directions, the soul who appears to be a little boy stood by the tallest tree's trunk in the garden, apprehensive and wary of anyone who came close to him. His hands were glued close to his chest and his feet were shaking.

He noticed us coming towards him and I was so close to fainting until Calli's voice brought me back. She took a good grasp of both my shoulders and positioned me right behind the boy. "Stand there and act like I'm talking to you."

"Wait... Why-"

"So people won't think I'm an idiot for talking to air, okay?" Oh. It made sense now. They couldn't see the kid. Only I could. Since I could see the distance between me and the kid, it was manageable to assess the proper measurement to stand still in this conversation. If I wasn't granted Calli's vision, I would've unknowingly merged with this kid.

That sounded terrible.

"Hey there, are you lost lil' kid?" Calli's voice flipped a complete 360. Her intonation down to her body posture changed the script of her entire well-being. She sounded like a doting young woman with a caring heart for children. Not a feature I could see during our time back at their building.

"Y-you can see me?" His voice was accompanied by a resonant bell. "N-no one's listening to me... I tried yelling and crying... The adults just walk by like they see nothing... D-did I do something wrong, miss?" he hiccupped.

Shit. Was I supposed to be here?

"Clay's an adult. See? He's right there behind you. He can see you." Calli pointed at me and the kid's appearance now became crystal clear.

His eyes were no longer there. A part of his hair was ripped off and his clothes tattered. It took everything to not shudder. Who wouldn't? But I was taught to have an open mind. I should accept this as part of reality. Despite that, most people would call this kid a ghost.

"... Hi." I waved. This was all real. If this was CGI, Calli might've been the greatest prankster alive. The thing is, I knew her from working. She wasn't one to pull off jokes incredibly well. The first one to awake and never sleep after.

"But calling me miss? You're really well-mannered! What a good kid! Your parents must be really cool! I'm Calli! That's my friend, Clay! What's your name?"

"A lot of fancy people visit our house. I'm always on my best behavior! The name's Ben!" he said with a joyful tone this time. "My mom was busy talking to her friends and dad said he'd pick something up in his car. I think it's my birthday gift but they both hadn't returned yet... That's why I'm still here waiting for them. I think Alexis already went home."

Calli nodded. "What else happened?"

"They said I should go play with the children in this garden. Alexis and I were playing hide-and-seek with them." The kid became a little calmer now but his stance was still quite cautious. "Since me and Alexis are geniuses, we decided to hide in the bathroom! The seeker was a girl so she couldn't have found us no matter what! Hehe~" He jumped in glee, giggling merrily.