[SEASON 2] Chapter 19

There was a big castle just east from our initial position. Despite the fading splendor of an underwater haven, the depictions and embellishments that scatter across the structures surrounding us were very much alive. Such was the immutability of a place that lived to see both moral and immoral man.

We had decided to experience the place for ourselves and get to learn more about Gura's past life before she ventured above the water. Later on, we would try to find out more about what happened to Gura's family and the people that were lost.

Being an outsider to this whole thing, I was naturally the most curious person in the group asking questions to Gura what each building's function was or how the races back then roamed the limestone floors we were walking on. She didn't seem to mind my flurry of questions, considering she'd assigned herself as the figurehead, there wasn't an inch of annoyance on her face when she was met with interrogatives.

She could answer questions like how the economy worked together, ceremonies, even aspects of politics, converted to satirical entertainment by clown fishes. When it came to the destruction of Atlantis, Gura's knowledge would revert to that of a goldfish. I guess she never really considered it since she knew how strong the land was at the palm of her hand.

"Believe it or not, Atlantis was never perceived as a land that grew up underneath the ocean. It always stood alongside other nations of the time. On terms of it being equal, well that was a far cry."

"How so?" Amelia inquisitively observed not only the art but the muck and grime that seemed to surround the walls covering our left and right. We were currently in an outstretched passageway that garnered tapestries on both sides, the images of a past long gone revealing momentary glimpses of war and logic.

"Atlantis was a bona fide monarchy, ruled by both my father and mother. There were still taxes to be paid, laws and regulations that were bound by force but compared to other countries back then, everyone was strongly united under my father. Everyone loved him and any rebellion groups or riots did not exist. Rather, they were shut down immediately. It's difficult to imagine in today's world voices like those won't exist, yeah?"

"Whatever happened to cultural appropriation? Surely someone offended the god of Atlantis and received suffering for it?" Calli had thought the same opinion I did. It was impossible to not have an opposition in reality. I suppose life was all about agreeing and disagreeing. Those that were the former often succeed out of either love or influence.

"We get the usual hoity-toity sea folk here and there dressing up and making fun of others but that only made Poseidon's children relish the role they were given. In my case, I was a bubbly role model." Gura pointed to her chest proudly. "In other words, I would set an example of how to live in Atlantean society and children would flock to me all the time. My older brother, Triton, delivers news to our father about the wider scope of the community and the fate of those involved would depend. Could just be banishment or losing one's right to live."

"How many kids in the family?" Kiara asked. She acted like such a mother at times it was frighteningly scary.

"What an excellent transition," I commented.

Gura shrugged. "I lost count. I didn't interact with my siblings that much. Families in Atlantis were not confined to one space. The land was always moving just like the fishes." She motioned her hands to aim at small houses in the background. "You guys know how babies are made with fishes? A normal human family will always stick together. Fishes and even the god of the sea don't cling to their offspring and even tell them to learn on their own. If the eggs are gobbled up, it's a shame but those who live tend to always bring more children to the mix."