Chapter 15

We were all pretty excited about this new camp thing. Mrs. Klein told us that it was scheduled after our final exams this year, which meant it would be in April, around one and a half month from now. I really wanted this camp. But then, there was this one thing Mrs. Klein said that got me worried. You see, the students from class 8 are also gonna tag along as our seniors, and so all of us from class 7 won't be going at the same time. Half of us would go for the first 5 days, and the remaining half would have a camp after ours. It was at this one nature resort out in the hills, away from the city. Don't get me wrong, but as much as I wanted to learn German, the reason I mostly wanted to attend this camp was Serena alone. I just wanted to spend time with her.

Few days after this announcement, Peter and I were just walking around with Snakey, when we passed by Serena. I was pretty sure those two would give each other their usual death glare, but nope. They didn't.

Huh? That's kinda weird... I said to myself. Days ago these two couldn't stand each other, and now the hatred was suddenly reduced. Good for me, my two best friends would finally get along.

Pretty much over the next few weeks, Peter and Serena got into less and less fights than before. At this point they just looked at each other and walked past as if they were just tired. It seemed kinda weird, but I was too busy admiring Serena that I didn't pay much attention to it.

...

One fine day, our science teacher called me and Iris. We went to her and she told us that we had to make a science project for some state level competition thing. It wasn't a big deal for me, so I agreed. Well, the problem was that we needed a group of 3, and so we lacked one member. The teacher asked us to pick the third one ourselves, and dismissed us.

I just knew I had to pick Serena. But Iris suggested Peter. We kinda had an argument, but in the end we choose Serena.

The next day, we decided to meet at my house to discuss the project. Serena and Iris came to my house and I greeted them. My house was a flat in an apartment. We seated in our balcony and started talking about the project. This was the best project of my life lol.

We had a pretty nice time. Iris had to leave a bit early for some reason, and my mom wasn't home for some time. So for like 20 minutes, it was just me and Serena. I felt like I could die of happiness. We talked and laughed for what seemed like hours.

...

Mrs. Klein called us all to the German class. Today she was gonna announce the names of the kids who would be there in the first camp.

"Iris," she called out. I could see Iris almost jump with excitement. "Sean," my friend was in. "Alex, Peter," great. Peter gone too. "Serena, Samantha," what the hell? Serena too?

I waited for what seemed like eternity and still there was no sign of my name on the list. I listened closely. And thank frickin god, at the very end, Mrs. Klein said, "Brandon, Paul, and Raymond. That's it guys. You are all in the first camp."

I let out a sigh of relief and looked at Serena. I was sure she would be looking at me too. But no, she wasn't. I mean, she was actually looking my way, but not at me. It was more like behind me or something. I just shrugged it off anyway.

Days passed and our final exams were over. Now it was 2 days to go for the camp. We just couldn't wait.