Chapter 29

Over the period of few days, Serena and I started talking more and more. I somewhat felt the old bond return. I was happy, after a long time.

But my heart raced everytime she and I talked. I wanted us to be more than just friends... But was it too much to ask for? I was really confused.

Soon, I found myself visiting Serena's class almost all the time. I would find reasons to pass in front of her class, and I would go there in tiffin breaks. I saw her looking at me through the window when I played cricket with friends on the playground.

One such day, I was playing cricket, and I saw that Serena was looking at me from the window on the second floor. I don't know what energy got into me, but I suddenly got all pumped up. I was determined to play well and impress her.

Soon, it was my turn to bat. I took the bat and walked with full confidence. I took my position and signalled the bowler that I was ready. I had a different spark in my eyes that day. I had to show them that I was not just some nerdy loser.

The bowler jogged forward, the ball in his hand. He then there the ball at me and I saw it coming straight at me. Time seemed to slow down. You have to hit it. You have to. The ball came closer and I swinged the bat.

.
.
.

Clean Bowled.

.
.
.

Yep. I was so damn embarassed! I knew she was still watching from up there, and I just wanted to die of embarrassment. Then it was my team's turn to field. I was gloomy. Man you're a jerk. You totally made a joke out of yourself. That too in front of Serena! Could you be any more miserable?!

I watched casually, deeply immersed in my own self-critic thoughts, when I saw the batsman hit the ball. I wish I could play that well. That's when I noticed that the ball was moving towards me. I panicked. I didn't want to look like a loser again. So I jumped sideways where the ball was probably gonna be in a few seconds. And guess what? I caught it mid-air.

Everyone, including myself, was shocked. I had just taken a wicket! All by myself! I looked up and saw that Serena was still there. She noticed I was looking and nervously turned her head. She's so adorable! I almost blushed.

I don't know how, but I was the heart of my team that day. I caught every single ball after that, and within moments, all the wickets had been taken down by me. Yep. I had made my team win! Everyone surrounded me and was happy. I looked up. Serena was there. She didn't look away this time, though. She smiled at me.

I felt at the top of the world.

...

After the break was over, everyone left the playground. I stopped to tie my shoe-lace, and that was when I saw Sally walk towards me.

"Yo! What's up?" I asked, getting up.

"Ray, I've got a good news for you." she seemed excited.

"Damn, I'm all ears. Go on."

"Ray," she started, "Penny likes you."

.
.
.

What the hell?