⊘ • ❺ • ⊘

𓆩 𓆪

He didn't lie when he said there were more fences. I expected there would be a few. I was wrong.

The numerous fences won each time against me, but I got over them. He climbed over without breaking a sweat; I struggled in more ways than one.

From my phobia, my shoes slipping, and landing on my ass, I would say fences are my weakness. Maybe a rival at this point.

However, I leave behind the negative memories of the fences I've passed, focusing on the moment at hand.

"We're here," he stands with a straight posture, grinning. He looks over the abandoned property with proudness radiating off of him, glistening in his chestnut eyes.

Following his gaze, I see the buildings in front of us. There are two, vacant warehouses stationed near the docks. The structures are old with rust and blue paint peeling off of the walls. They are two stories tall with broken windows, littered trash scattered around the grounds, and graffiti lining the outside walls and pavement. Tall fences wrap around the property line, which we jumped a few moments ago. I'm thankful to be done with jumping for the day; my feet are killing me.

"Before we go in, we need to set a few rules. I need you to call me by my name, not Street Killer, or criminal. Call me Jungkook; I'll call you Vee."

"So you're willing to use my real name here and not Bee? Why?" I raise my eyebrow, scanning him with a perplexed expression.

I'm not complaining, only curious why he wants to call me by my real name. Perhaps, it's because he realized his rudeness.

"The people here need to know you're on their side; they need to trust you. Newcomers are treated... not so nice until their initiation—their pledge—takes place. It's to let everyone here know you can be trusted and are part of the family. We need to act friendly amongst each other, or else they won't hesitate to kick you out. I'm doing this to help you."

"Initiation? There's no way I'm getting involved with what you do. You and your family are criminals. You ruin businesses and hurt innocent lives in the process." Despite my honesty, he doesn't hold an attitude. His smile does falter at the words, though.

"If you want my protection, this is your only choice, or else you can take your chance with the public, which I'm sure would be prepared to gather the reward money after they turn you in." He raises his brows, stepping toward the building. He looks at me with an emotionless face. "I'm right, and you know it. Either treat me with respect while staying here, or you can go back where you came from and deal with the issue yourself."

The wind blows past us, stirring our hair in the direction it wishes to go. His eyes stare into mine with seriousness. I find myself sighing.

"Just because I'm staying here for a while doesn't mean I'm going to join your gang of thieves. You can't make me. I will, however, respect you if you respect me."

He shrugs the topic off, not caring at the moment. The view before him is too grand of an opportunity to miss witnessing the lighting of the setting sun.

His features never falter with disappointment when looking at the buildings ahead. Instead, he starts moving forward down the hill, motioning with his hand to me.