⊘ • ❹❼ • ⊘

𓆩 𓆪

Chilly air brushes past me. The Canadian cool weather tickles the hairs on my neck, calling me back to its winter-like season.

If I make it out of this alive, I want to be far away from here. I want to try and forget, although I know better than to believe an awful lie like that. I won't ever forget, but if I can get far enough away, then the thought of trying to will put peace in my mind at least.

I walk down the long road, turn around, and retrace my steps back to my starting position. It's an infinite road without any traffic or real obstacles at this point, but I know that'll change soon.

I contemplate pulling out my walkie-talkie and calling Hoseok. I know he'll have his on during this whole ordeal, and if I need him, all I have to do is reach his channel.

The repeated steps bring an ache to my heels and legs. I've been walking nonstop for over an hour, possibly two at this point. I slowly let my thoughts come and go from boredom as well as my anxiety.

As I begin to reach inside my prison suit for my walkie-talkie, I halt my movements when I suddenly hear a vehicle approaching behind me. This is it. It has to be him. No one else has used this road since I've been walking it.

I move my hand to hold onto my stomach, pretending to be in pain as I dawdle down the road. I wait for them to drive closer before I let my facial features twist into pain.

The van slows down beside me, and I can feel the gazes studying my movements.

I want them to hurry and buy it. All I have to do is get in the van.

When I turn my head, finally granting enough time for my supposed pain to drift away to notice my surroundings, the van stops.

My eyes meet the passenger as he rolls down the window, and there he is. Sitting there with his black-shaded sunglasses and a cheeky grin that hints at fake worry for my state.

Now is my chance. "Ghost?" I narrow my eyes when looking at him, and I step closer to the van, stopping short when I hold my side and breathe heavily with pain.

"Is that you, Vee?" I hear his voice, but I won't allow myself to meet his gaze. I have to pretend to be in pain, and he's a liar himself. He'll know if I'm faking it or not, so I can't afford the slightest mistake. I let pain leak out of my throat, real pain as I think about the consequences if this doesn't work. People will die.

"Ghost—" I say his name again as I collapse on the road, letting my head slam against the ground. I hold in my pain, acting as if I fainted.

I hear the passenger side door open and hear footsteps walk up to me. I keep my eyelids shut when I feel his fingertips land on my wrist, checking for a pulse.

When he finds it, he sighs outwardly. "Still breathing," Ghost groans.

"You want us to kill her?" I hear a faint voice say from the van.

Although my eyes are closed, I feel Ghost's gaze land intensely on my body. He waits for a moment before saying anything, and then I have to force my body not to react when I suddenly feel his fingers brush against my cheek.