09 - entertaining delusions

Song: Brent Faiyaz - ALL MINE (slowed and reverb)

Rocco

My heart is hammering against my chest as I steer the bike away from the house. 

That stupid house. 

It took everything within me not to lash out and do something I would regret, and the worst thing I could have done was leave Gia behind with my angry father, but I had to take Mia away.

I could tell she was uncomfortable, and my dad and his stupid fucking questions. 

He could tell we were acting, pretending we were a happily married couple. I should have fucking known.

I told Gia that she could come and stay with me if she wanted to, because honestly, I'm not comfortable with leaving her like that.

She always hides behind that goddamn smile of hers, but I know how fed up she really is inside, and the fact that Antonio didn't show up really had an effect on her. I could tell by the way she kept glancing at the door. 

I know my father wouldn't physically hurt her, he's not that type of man.

He's worse.

I breathe deeply and focus on Mia's hands around me as I drive towards our destination. I could hear her stomach rumbling as we left, and I know she didn't eat anything since breakfast.

I pull up into the parking lot of McDonalds and I feel her slowly detach herself from around me, her hands slipping away along with her warmth.

When she first got on the bike on the way to dinner, I could feel every single part of per body against me. Her legs kept squeezing against mine whenever I went a bit faster, and at one point I just sped down the road recklessly, just to feel her again. 

It's only been two days max, and I already feel an unwelcome feeling inside me.

I didn't like it when my father kissed her hand, because I knew he only meant it out of spite.

Or maybe I'm just convincing myself away from other feelings.

I turn the engine off and step off the bike. Mia is staring up at the shop with a mix of hunger, excitement, hunger and more hunger. 

She turns to me, grins, then runs ahead into the shop without another glance back.

I nearly smile.

Nearly.

I follow behind her at my own pace, shoving my hands into my pockets as i step inside the restaurant.

I immediately grimace at the smell of grease and crane my neck to try and spot Mia.

She's standing before one of those massive tablet things that allow you to order your food.

I walk up behind her, my eyes lingering on her black hair that dangles elegantly at her lower back. It looks so soft and smoot-

No.

She's staring intently at the screen before her, and when she spots me next to her, she smiles a little.

"What do you want to eat?" Her voice sounds completely void of the anxiousness I heard earlier on, and instead she looks relieved and renewed.

"Nothing." I didn't come here for me.

She frowns and throws up her hands in exasperation.

"Oh, come on Rocky, don't tell me you're not hungry." My heart leaps at the name, but I contradict my emotions by narrowing my eyes at her.