11 - hard-to-breathe syndrome

Song: Chase Atlantic - Church (slowed)

Rocco

The first thing I do when she walks out of my room, is take a cold shower.

I didn't realise I needed one until she got off my lap, and every second since then, all I've been able to think about is the way her legs wrapped around me.

The fact she thought we were getting robbed should have amused me, but with her limited knowledge about me and my home, and how many people have access to it, is kind of my fault, so I guess I was to blame for her reaction.

I don't think I would have changed anything if I were to go back though. 

Last night when we got in, she had gone straight to 'her' room and I needed a glass of water, so went into the kitchen, oblivious to her obviously exhausted state. You can only imagine my reaction when I got back to my room to see her sprawled out on my the bed in her fucking day clothes and shoes. I couldn't just wake her up exactly, could I?

I have no idea how she got lost and ended up there, and I can only imagine her reaction to the 'robbery' if she was alone in her own bed.

I'm wary of her spending time alone with Ren, but I trust him more than I trust anyone, so it doesn't unnerve me as much as it should.

Plus, I'm sure she's more than capable of handling herself, if the need may arise.

Judging from this morning, maybe not.

I make quick work of freshening up, too aware of Mia being left alone with Ren, and change into a pair of black sweatpants and a plain white t shirt.

I have no desire to dress fancy today.

I finally feel like I can breathe, especially after that shower.

And I'm starving for a hot drink right now. My head seems buzzed for some reason.

I make my way downstairs, already hearing voices as I walk into the lounge. The lounge is not the living room. The living room is where my office is, but the lounge is where I spend time relaxing and, hence the name, lounging.

I spot Mia's at the sink, looking to be washing a red fruit. I have no idea where she got them from, because I never get fruit.

Ren is leaning against the island counter, his back faced to me, and he seems to be making a joke, which nearly makes Mia drop her fruit into the sink from laughter.

The sight seems quite surreal to me, the way her eyes crinkle up, barely there as they squeeze together, her teeth glimmering in the light from the sun, the perfect shape of her lips as they curve up into a smile.

I stop to breathe.

Both their heads turn to me as I walk into the kitchen area, heading straight for the cupboard to fish out a mug.

I'm in dire need for a coffee, especially after my random bursts of struggling-to-breathe syndrome.

"Well, look who the cat dragged in. Looking fresh fatso." I turn once to glare at Ren, but he only seems to grin wider as he takes in my expression, clearly not wavered after all these years.