20 - cherries aren't a meal

Song: SZA - Drew Barrymore (slowed + reverb)

Mia

My vision is blurry when I wake up.

I rub my eyes, my head feeling heavy, and attempt to look around the room at my surroundings. Dark grey bedsheets, industrial style bedroom, landscape bedroom view.

I'm in Rocco's bed.

All I remember is seeing Lincoln in the foyer whilst I was taking a look around and getting some fresh air after lounging around, eating my cherries, and then him saying something about-

No.

No.

The sound of a door opening has me sobering up, and I watch as Rocco walks towards me in a pair of black sweatpants and a white t-shirt, the ink on his arms bare against his smooth skin, and the hazel of his eyes burning holes in my skin.

His eyes are on me all the way, and he takes a seat on the bed beside me, right next to my hip. I'm still lying down, but I move to sit up. My body needs a good stretch.

I can smell his scent from how close he is, and I breathe it in, allowing it to fill my senses and ground me.

My head seems to have gone lighter.

A rumbling sound fills the silence of the room, and a small blush creeps up onto my face. I'm hungry.

I throw a sheepish smile towards Rocco, but the look he sends me has me narrowing my eyes at him. He looks pissed.

When does he not.

His voice is low and calm as he speaks, and I stop a shudder from passing through me at the way his voice hits my bones, so deep.

"When did you last eat a full meal, Mia?" My expression grows weary, and I contemplate lying to him, just because I don't want to deal with this, but I know he would just get even more suspicious.

"Ummm, maybe yesterday?" I try to quickly strip off the covers and get out of bed, but a hand on my wrist stops me from moving away any further.

He spins me around to face him still sitting on the bed, and pulls me forward slightly so I'm standing just between his legs. His hand around me arm is warm and soft, but firm, and I stop myself from melting at the feeling.

"Mia, cherries aren't a fucking meal. Tell me why you haven't been eating." His eyebrows are slightly furrowed and his gaze is firing up fire within me as I try to hold his stare.

The truth is, I let my fathers' words get to me too much, and whenever I overthink it, I blank out on proper meals, convincing myself that snacking on cherries will keep me filled up.

It doesn't.

I shrug lightly at him in response, and his expression turns a flicker dark. I almost think he's going to force it out of me, but instead, he just sighs and moves to stand up, running a hand through his hair.

"Freshen up and come to the kitchen." Then he just walks out of the room without another word.

I stay standing there for another minute before walking to the bathroom, brushing and washing, thinking and feeling.

It's a rainy day today, clouds hanging low in the sky, grey and gloomy. I like it.

This type of weather makes me feel cosy and calm, and I walk over to the windows in Rocco's room, staring out at overcast sky.