28 - garfield 2.0

Song: Kendrick Lamar - FEEL slowed + reverb)

~

The boy, naturally, had no idea what would happen.

It was a normal night. A normal birthday party.

But somehow, everything went wrong.

Both of them slide into the backseat of the car, giddy from all the dancing they had done and stuffed to the brim from how much party food they had eaten.

Some might say it was the best night of their life, but some may argue the opposite.

The roads were dark as the driver manoeuvred  through the streets, the only light being the soft glow of the street lamps.

The boy kept on sneaking glances at the girl who's head was leaning against the door, her eyes staring out of the window.

Her father had arranged for their pickup together, as his father and hers were together. They didn't complain, because they loved spending time together.

She turned towards the boy, and a small blush creeps onto her face as she catches him staring at her. He doesn't look away, and instead tries to inch closer to her.

He thinks about unbuckling his seatbelt, but decides against it because he doesn't want to risk her doing the same thing and potentially getting hurt.

She watches as he reaches out his hand to take hers.

His hand is bigger than hers, even at the age of nine, but she liked the way it felt.

He was still looking at her, and it seemed like he was going to say something, but he was stopped by a blinding light filtering through the car.

The next few moments happened in slow motion.

Their hands still tightly clasped together, seatbelts the only thing worth saving them.

The car skidded sideways onto the street hitting, with a loud, creaky thump, another car.

The force was so great that the two children hit their heads against the windows, their small frames lurching forward, the seatbelts digging into the flesh of their neck.

The car toppled onto its side in a single roll and the sounds of broken glass and screaming, and a distant fire lit the scene in disaster.

Pain was the epicentre of all feeling.

The two children both had severe head injuries, and as the girl looked over at the boy, she noticed that his leg was bent in a strange angle. She couldn't make a noise, but the last little whisper of a word she said managed to make it to his ears.

"Rocky."

~

Rocco

I never knew the extent of Mia's relationship with her father, but after last night, it makes sense just a little bit more.

When she said she needed to go to the bathroom, I was hesitant in leaving her alone, but I didn't want to seem like a control freak so I let her go.