18 - i want cherries

Song: Chase Atlantic - Meddle About (slowed down)

Mia

It's been half an hour since Rocco went inside to attend to his business, and I've been sitting with a group of women who look to be in their late twenties.

All they've been talking about is an upcoming charity gala, and I've felt out of place the whole time, except for when a small black puppy came running up to me and started nuzzling my bare leg.

Now it's in my lap, sleeping, and I've been absentmindedly stroking the back of it's soft head of hair, listening to the chatter around me.

I'd never really been to a big event like this before since my father always took my brothers, and as they talk, I find myself wanting to go, get out of my comfort zone which seems to just be cuddling with Zeus all the time.

I hope Rocco lets me go. I'm pretty sure he'll be going too, since his father is the Don, and he has an obligation to make appearances.

Plus it sounds fun.

"Will you be coming too, Mia?" A voice speaks from my left, and I turn my head to look at her.

She's wearing an elegant midnight blue dress with her hands neatly folded on her lap. I peek a small, miniature sized tattoo on her middle finger, near the tip, but it's so small I can't make it out from where I'm sitting.

She has a soft but stern face, hard lines and strong features. Her eyes follow mine as I take her in.

"I'm not sure, I've never been to one before." I try to make my tone light as I attempt a small smile, and she raises her eyebrows at me.

"Who is your father again?" There are traces of an accent in her voice, and I recognise the slur of her tone as Italian.

I wonder if all these women are Italian.

When I register her words, my body turns a sliver cold, but I mask my features into a pleasant look and reply with ease.

"Carlisle Hayes." I hate his name, speaking it with a pleasant tone when it is anything but.

It only reminds me of my misery and loneliness. Torture in itself, a yearning for human contact and love.

She nod's once, and directs a rhetorical question to the group of women, her gaze still on me.

I try not to squirm under it, but it's so strong but warm at the same time.

"I wonder why Fiori married outside the clan, hm?" She's still looking at me, and her eyes are questioning and curious as she speaks.

It's a good question. My father had only told me about how he didn't want to make enemies with the family, so that's why I had gotten married, but I have an unsettling feeling that there's another reason for this all, because I'm sure there are other ways to go about inciting peace without marriage, but my father had gone about this route for a reason still partially unknown to me.

It makes me curious and hungry for answers.

And all I want to do it get up and follow Rocco inside so I can find out what business contract he's signing.