32 - asserting dominance

Song: Lana Del Rey - Florida Kilos (dreamy version + slowed)

Mia

I'm stunned as I sit here listening to Ren and Rocco talk.

Yes, Ren did interrupt us again, but this time he came with more important news, and it seems as though they're comfortable enough to speak about it in front of me.

It makes me feel a little more accepted and less alone in all this. Even though I'm not attuned to the details of what they're talking about, I find it welcoming how they both allowed me to stay here.

"We have to go. This is our only opportunity to find that son of a monkey, and if we succeed, maybe all those attacks will stop." Ren is leaning his forearms against Rocco's desk, his body tilted forward in a conspiring matter as he speaks intensely.

A strand of his raven straight hair spills onto his forehead, and he huffs as he swipes it back away from his face.

I'm standing next to Rocco's desk chair as he sits, gazing off into the distance with a blank expression on his face. I shouldn't be surprised that I can't tell what he's thinking, but when I see his jaw twitch, I know he's just as affected by this news as I am.

"Okay. We'll leave tonight. Book three tickets and get Manny to clear up the house before we get there." His voice is level and thoughtful, and I clear my throat to get their attention.

"Ahem, just to clarify, where exactly are you talking about?"

Both men speak at the same time, and it kind of unnerves me as they look at me with the same amused expression.

"Italy."

My eyes automatically widen when I hear their response, and I move forward and grip onto the armrest of Rocco's chair.

"Really?" I've never been out of the country before, and I've always wanted to visit Italy, especially now since I know Rocco and his family are from there.

They also have really good food, and I'm suddenly reminded of my hunger when my stomach growls.

"Yes. You'll need to pack for a few days." Rocco eyes my stomach before looking up at me with a stern expression on his face. "After lunch."

I narrow my eyes slightly at the accusing look he's giving me, but he only turns back to Ren.

"Get started. I'll be at home if you need me. Make sure Antonio is keeping an eyes on the other leads." He get's up out of his chair and walks around the desk, slapping Ren on the back before he walks out of the office, saluting to us with a small grin.

He never fails to make me smile when he's around.

"Come on. You're hungry and we won't be having dinner until much later tonight." He grabs my book off the desk and I follow him out of his office, waiting until he locks it before we make out way towards his bike.

"So, why exactly are we going to Italy? What't this about attacks?" His jaw clenches again, and I almost think he won't reply, but he speaks right before he presses the elevator button to the parking garage.

"We have business." He avoids my question, and I turn to stare at the side of his face.

His body language is so relaxed, but I can tell from the set of his jaw that he's not as calm as he seems.