29 - the sound of a flat line

Song: The Neighbourhood - Softcore (slowed + reverb)

~

Blaring bright lights forced themselves into the girls eyes as she slowly opened them. Everything was white and the pain in her head was banging against her temple.

She wanted the lights off because they were making it worse.

She could hear the beeping of a machine next to her and slowly turned her head, wincing slightly at the pain that followed from the sudden movement.

She wanted to cry and scream and ask anybody why she was in pain, surrounded by lights too bright and by the clogging smell of strong bleach and laundry detergent that smelled off and wafted through her nose.

She was shivering, but the sweat that coated her skin felt like another suffocating layer of heat against her body.

She turned her head to the other side and spotted another bed with identical machines to hers that stood on one side, and the bright white sheets rumpled as a figure lay stock still.

It was a boy.

She suddenly wanted to cry for this boy. He probably didn't know where he was or what had happened to him, the same as her.

His hair was black and his finger was attached to a thick clip. She lifted her own hand and came to the realisation that there was an identical clip on her own finger.

She turned back to the boy, wondering who he was and what had happened to him.

Was he dead? He wasn't moving, and there was a long loud beep sounding through the room now, making the blood pump in her ears, attempting to block out the shrill noise.

She wanted to get out of here, go back home, but a black void bloomed up inside her head, making her heart race and her hands shake.

Where was she?

Just then, a flurry of nurses covered in blue scrubs the shade of the sky, ran into the room and crowded around the boy. The girl noticed one of the nurses holding a pair of blocks which she then placed on the boys chest.

She screamed when he jolted against the bed, but no sound came out as the darkness gripped her tender mind and pulled her into unconsciousness.

~

Mia

I feel sick.

My bones are fragile in my body as I slump against the sofa, resting my head against the soft cushions that feel like clouds.

I would happily drift off into them if I could, but the pain in my lower abdomen distracts me from any peace that could relieve me at this moment. 

I small whimper leaves my mouth as I clutch my stomach to try and relieve the pain, putting as much pressure as I can, but my arms don't have the strength to hold myself, and fall beside me in a heap.

I close my eyes and try to think of something else other than the throbbing and sharp stabs of pain, figuring that if I stood up and tried to make myself a hot water bottle, I would probably feel sick all over the floor, and I'm pretty sure Rocco wouldn't be the one to clean up after me which meant that I'd have to clean me mess which would undoubtedly make me feel worse.

I shove the thought away, feeling a sourness creep up into my throat. 

This is the worst.