twenty one; the start of owls year

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

i'm still a believer but i don't know why
i've never been a natural
all i do is try, try, try
- mirrorball; taylor swift

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

September 3rd, 1975 -

"We have been in school for two days and I'm already contemplating dropping out," Marlene huffed, throwing her books down onto Aria's library table.

The girl smiled, finishing up writing, before dipping her quill into the pot and raising an eyebrow at her friend. 

"Setting a new record are we?" she teased.

"Oh shut it Ari," the blonde pouted, sliding into the seat across from Aria. "Not all of us are geniuses who fly through our classes."

"I'm not a genius," Aria contradicted with a soft shake of her head. "You're brilliant Marls, you just need to get the work done and then you can go do whatever you want."

"I lack motivation to do just about anything."

"That's quite relatable," Remus chuckled, sitting himself down to Ari. "What're you working on?"

"DADA essay," she responded, sliding the paper over to the boy. "Read it over will you? I think it's just about done. What do you have to do still Marls?"

"Bloody Herbology," she groaned. "And Transfiguration. The two worst subjects to exist."

"Don't let Alice hear you," Aria chuckled. "Show me what you've got so far and I'll help you."

As Marlene moved to pull out scrolls of parchment, Aria waited patiently for Remus's feedback. 

"It looks good, I'd go into more depth right here," he pointed out a few lines on the paper. "It's a solid O, no surprise."

"Thank you very much Professor Lupin," Aria teased with a grin. 

"Stop it," he scowled, blushing lightly. "Hey Ari, what do you know about the Slug Club?"

"The Slug Club?" she frowned slightly. "It's a group Slughorn forms of his prized pupils you can say. People good at Potions and people with connections. It's fifth years and older, he basically invites them to dinner and hosts parties trying to wrangle invites out of them. I expect Sirius will get an invite as a Black, James and I as well, dad is an incredible Potioneer."

"You're also one of the best students in class," Marlene cut in, handing Aria a pile of parchment. 

Aria began glancing over her friend's untidy scrawl, lightly marking it up with her quill, "I assume Lily will get an invite, she has no connections in the Wizarding World, but she is a brilliant student, she'll graduate top of this class. I'm dreading it to be honest, it's an opportunity for Slughorn to get gifts from students and secure himself resources from different people. Besides, it sounds rather stuffy, like tea with Mrs. Longbottom."