twenty seven; christmas at the potters

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

if i was dying on my knees, you would be the one to rescue me
and if you were drowned at sea,
i'd give you my lungs so you could breathe
- brother; kodaline

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

December 12th, 1975 - 

Sirius wasn't avoiding Aria per se, he was just trying and failing to summon the courage to speak to her and explain his feelings. But what he didn't realize is all it would take is a simple hello, and Aria would smile and everything would be alright. Not really, but she would give him a chance. 

Giving Aria her space and answering his mother's summons to return home instead of fleeing to the Potters was perhaps the worst thing he could have done. He's not sure what possessed him, but he wanted to prove he was better than them, show Aria that he finally understood. He would survive the break, come out stronger, and then talk to Aria once again. 

In theory, in his mind, it was a good plan. But alas, as soon as he arrived home, it had all gone to shit. 

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

December 17th, 1975 -

It was nearly one in the morning when Aria heard the pounding on the door. Slightly confused at who would be calling at such an odd hour, she shut her book and made her way downstairs. Pulling her robe tighter, she cautiously peeked out the door, letting out a gasp as she realized who it was.

"What are you-" she began to ask, not even getting the full question out as he rushed to answer. 

"I had to leave," he responded quickly, shivering in his rain soaked clothes. "I didn't know where to go."

"You came home," Aria smiled softly. "Get inside you idiot, you're going to freeze to death."

Sirius blinked in surprise, following Aria into the living room. He was rather surprised she let him in, he was hoping anyone else would open the door in fear that she would turn him away.

"You know where your room is idiot, go get changed. I'll put on a pot of tea," she instructed. 

"You don't have to do that," he protested. "I need to leave."

She whipped around, hands on her hips, a fire alight in her eyes as she demanded, "And just why would you do that?"

"I can't stay here Ari!" he spluttered.

"And why wouldn't you?" she countered. "I wasn't joking when I said you came home Sirius. We both know this place is far more your home than the hell you call your own. You'll always have a place with us Sirius, mum and dad have been waiting for you. You belong here Sirius, and I have zero intention of letting you walk back out that door."