twenty six; the aftermath

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

do you remember happy together? i do, don't you?
then all of a sudden, you're sick to your stomach, is that still true?
- i miss you i'm sorry; gracie abrams

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

November 24th, 1975 - 

"What happened?" Marlene questioned, watching the way Aria's eyes flickered across the common room to Sirius sitting alone in the corner. 

The question had been almost haunting her the last few weeks, what happened to the indestructible Marauders, the whole school wanted to know. The whispers followed her like a shadow, trailing after her constantly. Even in her dorm she felt the curious gazes of her roommates on her, but still Aria remained tight lipped. 

There was no way to explain the hurt she was feeling, the pain Remus was in, the conflict James felt, the stress Peter was dealing with, or the remorse Sirius was crippled by. There was no way to explain that one rash decisions had put the Marauders in a position that was practically impossible to escape. 

She thought when the boys made oaths years ago that it would be enough, Remus's secret was always safe. But all it took was Sirius goading Snape to the Whomping Willow and now there was someone who knew, not bound by magic to not share. Sure Dumbledore requested Snape not to share, but Aria didn't trust the boy whatsoever.

And despite the fact that Aria wanted to tell someone, anyone, everything she had bottled up; because the only ones she could tell were the ones she had to stay strong for. So as much as she wanted to answer Marlene's question and confess everything that was plaguing her, she couldn't, because there were one too many secrets to protect. 

Aria shook her head in response after a few seconds of silence, "I can't say."

Lily then stood up abruptly, reaching out a hand for Aria. Aria followed her friend out of the common room, wondering what she had to say. 

"I know," the redhead whispered, looking up at Aria. 

"Know what?" Aria questioned sharply. 

"What happened."

"And how do you?"

"Severus is my friend," Lily answered. "I knew his suspicions, I heard them all. I'm not too stupid myself, I saw the signs as well. Severus told me what had happened, warned me to stay away from you all. I don't think you were involved but the others–"

"Weren't involved," Aria interrupted. "I cannot believe that he told you."

"He truly didn't tell me much, I found out most of it myself," Lily defended.