28

WAITING FOR SADIQ
CHAPTER 28

There's an intense quietness in the atmosphere of the car, if care is not taken khadijah is sure her rapidly beating heart will explode out of her chest at any moment, she glance at abubakar who have his left hand on the steering wheel and his right hand to his ear still on his phone.

For Abubakar even do the call he's making ended 5minutes ago he still cannot drop the phone, he doesn't rather prefer to continue faking a conversation with himself on the phone than face khadijah, he is definitely nervous and khadijah is the last person he want to be with right now, he steal a glance at her and she's nibbling on her fingers which he find childish and adorable at thesame time, he avert his gaze back to the road and release a deep calming breathe before pretending to end the call and drop the phone back.

The 30minutes drive is a quiet one when Abubakar took the last turn to khadijah street he slow down, he want to start a conversation, he want to ask khadijah why she deceived him and fake all the emotions she did only for her to be married.

"Why did you do it Abu?."khadijah ask is almost a whisper, it's something she want to say in her mind but it voluntarily come out of her mouth.

Abubakar instantly glance at her, slowing the car even the more as he release a heavy breathe.

"Did what?"he ask and turn his gaze back to the empty quiet suburban area.

Nanah stay quiet for a while, she knows she doesn't have the right to ask him anything, especially regarding his private life, but she need answers andshe want him to know that she really did waited for him, she gulp down the empty saliva in her mouth and look up at him.

"Abu i waited."she say and instantly feel the familiar burning sensation behind her eyes, she never understand how anytime she is with him she always get extra emotional it's so unlike her.

"You waited!."Abubakar screech feeling betray and he halt by the roadside.
"You lied to me Nanah,
I thought you genuinely care,
I want to believe you and agreed with everything you've said to me,
I thought you do understand that what happened to me affected me emotionally and........."he pause for a while trying to find the right word to use.
"You never cared Nanah,
That's just the type of person you are,
You always put yourself first and doesn't care whether or not your decision will affect someone."Abubakar say and just stare at the empty street.

There are alot of things he wants to say to khadijah, alot but obviously he couldn't find the rightful words, he glance at Nanah who flick the tears from her eyes but still doesn't prevent the acidic liquid from erupting from her eyes, he avert his gaze from her, he silently remove the white handkerchief from his pocket and hand it to her.

Nanah collect it and clean her face with it, she want to stop crying because it seems so pathetic and dramatic of her but she couldn't, she sniff and blow her nose into handkerchief before looking up at abubakar with her puffy eyes.

"Ab..Abu..I waited,
I care about you,
I know i have hurt you in the past and you didn't deserve all i have did to you but......she pause and grab his hand that's place on his lap making him to quickly look up and wiggle it out of her palms.

It's an unfamiliar electrifying chemistry, nanah's palms are soft and it's just so uncomfortable for him especially with her married.

"I.......

"Nanah, let's not talk about the past because what's done has been done and we both should take that as a lesson, talking about this now won't make any difference,
It won't change anything,
Neither can it bring us together
"Abubakar say and Nanah just stare at him.

"Abu i love you."Nanah confess with a sniff, abubakar turn his gaze to her, staring deep into her sharp brown eyes that reminds him of a wet sand in the desert, Nanah is beautiful, in his eyes she's the most beautiful woman he ever seen, her heavy thick eyelashes that stick together because of the tears in her eyes gives her the perfect eyebags that reminds him of one of the animated characters his cousin always play for her baby.

"I know you don't feel same way as i do any longer, especially after all the things i did to you in the past and......."she pause in hesitation and shake her head.

"None of that Matters anyway but......
I'm sorry for hurting you the way i did ."Nanah say and abubakar release another heavy breathe.

"You should have waited as you promised."he say and Nanah shake her head.

"I did waited for you,
But then after i saw you two I'm the mall and how happy you both are i realise you've moved on Abu,
I don't want to be a home wrecker,
Besides there's no way you do ever look at me thesame way you did,
She's beautiful, young and.........
She's perfect for you."Nanah say and Abubakar brow furrow in confusion.

"She ?
Who's she?"he ask confuse and khadijah sigh.

"Your wife ofcrse,
A.......

"My wife!
What wife are you talking about?
I'm not married Nanah,
Don't try to run this on my face,
Do you know how difficult it was for me that day?
I was excited and i went to your house only to see you even have a daughter,
then you saw me at the mall and suddenly want to start a friendly conversation as do everything is okay between us."he say bitterly and Nanah shake her head.

"You are not married?"Nanah say confuse staring at abubakar who look upset and hiss.

"When did i get better that i will be married,
Amrah is my cousin and stop trying to twist this conversation as do it's my fault."he snap and Nanah shake her head.

"Abu I'm not married to,
The baby you saw me with her at home, it's my late junior sister's daughter,...."Nanah say with a pause and suddenly breakdown.

Abubakar stare at her with a sigh,
He hate to admit the fact that anytime Nanah is crying his heartache.

"I'm engaged."she say with a long sniff.

"I don't even want to be with him Abu,
I thought you where married and i decided it's best if i move on."she say in between sob.

The two stay in silence for a while before abubakar decide to speak.

"When is the wedding?"he ask and Nanah mutter few weeks making him to release a deep breathe.

The two spend about 2hours in the car, talking and trying to sort out there difference, by the end of the conversation, Nanah decide she will speak with sadiq about the wedding so they can call it off,
For abubakar it's the best day he's had since after his accident, it's as if a heavy weight has been lifted up on his body, that moment he realized surely we can't easily remove love from our heart and indeed been soo judgemental about every situation it's wrong, he drop Nanah off at home and they both once again exchange  contact hoping to rebuild there relationship.