SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 5 
NOZIMANGA

I just stand there looking at him not knowing what to say.  
Am I hurt? I don't know really. I take inching steps towards the bed. His annoying mother has been blowing up my phone that I had to completely switch it off. 
He slowly opens his eyes and looks at me through his big drowsy eyes. I guess he felt my presence. He tries lifting his hand but stays down without him even trying to lift it. I grab the chair and sit next to the bed. 
On his left leg he has this huge internal fixation and the other leg seems pretty fine. 
"Where did you go?" I ask in a serene manner. He blinks multiple times and does not respond. 
He is not going to respond, is he? 
I put my bag on the floor and fold my arms looking at him. 
"Did you go to see one of your girlfriend's?" 
He frowns and shakes his head no. With the big pipe in his mouth gagging way down to his throat. It's just pointless of me to ask any these questions. But I continue anyway…
"Are you okay." 
He blinks again and this time around - he blinks away in tears. I gently take his hand massaging it.  
"Don't mind your mother. You know how cruel she can get." He take a sharp deep breath and sharply closes his eyes.  
"She has a diarrhea mouth like uMfolozi River."  
A painful smile lands on his face. His squeezes my hand gently… 
He hand goes loose the more it goes loose the more his eyes shut. He is trying so hard to stay awake but failing. 

I almost spent the whole evening at the hospital. News travel fast and I now regret why did I turn my phone on. His colleagues have been not giving my phone a rest. I honestly don’t know why they just don’t call me all at once, put me on loud speaker! It’s annoying that I have to answer to each and everyone separately. Another non-factor is his mother. I had no other option to go back home since sheis on my tail about her son. I find her still wide awake waiting for me.  
I sit on the couch and take a deep breath.  
"How is he?" She is sitting on the edge of the couch. Am I a bad person if I were to wish for her to slip and fall flat ass on the ground?
"Bad."  
When my eyes landed on him I didn't shed a tear. Now that the pictures are flashing everything is just flooding.  
A period of time when you have tears coming from my eyes, especially because I am sad. 
"Yini!" 
"He has a broken leg with a huge machine stuck on it." 
I don't even know how to explain. Rather say machine not to course confusion. 
"Ow Nkosi Yami." 
She's weeping like someone just died. I feel like landing a hard earned slap across her wrinkled face. This is all her fault. 
If she didn't come to my house non of this would have happened! I control my breathings… 
"I'm off to sleep." I say standing up. I need to be strong for him and emotionally strong for myself. 
I pass by the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

This is what I hate. People invading my privacy. I left this room closed! 
Wouldn't she have waited for me? 
The baby is literally at the edge of it. I pull her by her leg and make her sleep in the middle. I need to make one of the guest rooms a nursery. I cannot go on like this. I strip naked and hit the shower. 
The smell of the hospital triggers alot of emotions. I stand under the shower and let the water wash the scent off my body. 
I wrap myself with a towel and look at Zuri with her legs leaning against the headboard. 
"This child!" 
I snap a few pictures of her and send it to her mother. How did she cope with this? 
I need to put the pillows by her side just incase if he falls she will land on them. I do that as I just remembered and jump in bed. I just don't feel like wearing anything.

I'm waken up by a thunder smack. 
I jump of the bed - she's there looking at me with her pacifier in her mouth.  
"Yey wena!"  
I yell, she just looks at me. I rub my cheek… 
I check the time and it's 9:00 am on the dot. I'm tired. My body did not rest enough. Might as well fully wake up and prepare for the day. 

Bathe and feed the bloody child. She has become my responsibility!  
I put her in her baby car seat. This woman insisted on coming. I don't know what to do exactly because she had caused alot of damage already.  
We arrive at the hospital… 
"I hope he is awake today." I say stepping out of the car. She steps out also and holds her handbag close to her chest.  
Now I have to carry this…breathe Nozimanga, breath baby girl.  
She's clinging on to my neck making it hard for me to look sideways. This child wants me dead! I can't die, I still need to make my own soccer team. I need to shame the devil.  
"How is he, today?"  
"Better than yesterday. He cries alot because of pain."  
I nod my head and brush his head.  
"You don't touch your husband on your head, you are showing him lack of respect!"  
Who the hell is she telling me what to do and not what do to my excuse cheat of a husband.  
The next thing she will be telling me how I should Fu** my husband. Which position is suitable for her son.  
I feel my heart clicking it's tounge on my mouths behalf. I'm extremely exasperated. 
"When is he going to be discharged?" 
"For now I cannot tell. He is still under the watch doctor. Once he has made progress, we will let you know." The doctor taps on my shoulder and leaves.  
I look at his nails, the next time I come here I need to cut his nails.  
Remind me not have a child that will behave like Zuri. This child is all over the place!  
I want to spend time with my husband so badly but his stupid mother is here calling the shots forgetting that she is the one that made his son lay in the bed in the first place.  
I swear witches work overnight.  
"I think Zuri needs to be home. I mean like you going with her home while I take care of Simphiwe."  
I suggest. She looks at me under her eyeglasses.  
"I can't look after a child."  
And yet she was rejoicing how God blessed her womb. Failure! 
"I can't watch over Simphiwe and the child."  
"Ayikho inkomo esindwa umboko wayo."  
Where is the old age home because this woman is seriously getting on my last nerves!