SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 53
IN PRISON

“What do you mean she is dead?” Mkhuleko asks his brother Mkhuseli who looks astonished by the news. They were no longer together but he never whished death upon his baby mama.  
“She died after delivering your baby girl. She looks so much like you. The birth mark on the head and those ugly toes. Damn – that young girl has ugly toes.” Mkhuseli chucks and shakes his head. 
“Can I see her picture?” Mkhuleko’s heart is raging in excitement. Now he has a purpose to live and fight for. A baby girl. He is someone’s father! Mkhuseli takes his phone out and shows him the pictures. He is satisfied even though he had doubts that the baby might not be his. He shakes head emotionally and takes a deep breath. Being in prison is no child's play. How will he father his daughter when he is behind bars? He needs to change his ways and set an example. 
“Please - take care of my daughter. I know Khanyisile will do a great job.” He pleads. He knows that his brother has his back no matter what. Pity he had to go for Khanyisile first - but in actual fact he is the one who first laid his eyes on her first. Now that his brother is marrying the woman that captured his heart – he needs to swallow a bitter taste and try moving on.  It's hard but hanging in there. He never said anything about Khanyisile to Mkhuseli. 
“She will. You admire her, don’t you?” Mkhuseli asks. Mkhuleko looks on the side and clenches his jaws. 
“I must go back. Listen – please try getting hold of Vee’s family. I’m sure they don’t know about their daughters passing.” OfCourse he was never going to answer his little brother. Their bond is out of this world. He can't admit having the hearts for Khanyisile. He doesn’t want to hurt his brother's feelings. He will never admit to it. Only his heart will know.
“So, you are going to run away from my question?” The little brother is persistent as much. Mkhuleko stands up and smiles. 
“Take care of Nokukhanya for me.” He hurries before Mkhuseli gets to utter any word. Mkhuseli smiles and shakes his head in amusement. He wonders what has gotten to his brother. Now they have Nokukhanya in the house. If he really loved Khanyisile he would have fought for her, but he let him have her. He loves her no lies and his life is so complete with this woman. She brings so much peace to his life. Peace he never knew existed. He finds the courage to stand up after his brother has disappeared out of sight. He will need to call the girl's family and update them of the tragedy. He walks out of prison.

Meanwhile Mkhuleko is laying on his bed staring at Khanyisile’s picture. A small smile creeps on his face. He still remembers those small hands doing magic on him. He remembers it like it was yesterday. Pity he has been in and out of jail. When he got to finally look for her it was too late. The girl was already dating his brother. She is now his sister-in-law, sounds so surreal – right? As much as it hurts it’s better that she is marrying into the family. He will have to stop putting tabs on her and just try to move on. He tried with V. He loved her yes, but it was love of her filling the void that he wanted with Khanyisile. It never really worked because she was never Khanyisile. At his age, he believes he will never find another match that comes close to Khanyisile. 
“MacG. We have a problem.” One of the inmates says sitting next to him. He is a criminal and it's something that runs in his veins. The odd one out in the family. His mother still holds prayers for him to repent one day. 
“Zikhiphan?” he asks with his eyebrows arched in annoyance. He hates it when his peace is being disturbed. The inmate clears his throat. 
“The trucks went missing.”
Mkhuleko stands up frustrated. Does everything have to go wrong whenever he is locked up behind this cage. Yes, he is locked up but still makes money for the outside world. Not just any money but money that will make you faint. 

On the road...

Mkhuseli is driving slowly playing music in his car thinking of his brother. His phone rings and his wife's name pop up. A huge smile plastered on his face takes over. You know that heartbeat you feel and get when you first see that particular person. What they say – the other half. 
“Babe.” His chest always tightens whenever he picks her calls up. It is something that happens automatically. He cannot explain the feeling either. 
“Was asking what time you will be coming back home. I took the keys with.” She speaks. This woman with reporting everything. 
“Just tell me where you are, and I will come to you.” 
Luckily, it's just minutes away from where she is. Now he will have to find a way of dealing with breaking the news to this girl’s family. He takes short-left and takes a direction that will lead him to his wife.