SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 38
SIMPHIWE

The house looks and feels so quiet. The kids are in daycare. I had no other option. The situation I am currently in is straining all of my energy and time away. I am not in the mood for anything, and I will certainly will not like my kids to see me in this state. I just get easily irritated. Once I get irritated, I just lash out any how – I am trying to avoid all of that. I just want to have a peace of mind so that I could think, Will be fetching them on the weekend, hopefully by then my mind and soul would have rested to be in a better position. 
“Nozi.” The television is on, but she is not in sight. I switch it off and look around the house. She told me that she wanted bread and bananas – and that is exactly what I bought her. She can’t demand things and later vanishes into thin air. I place the bananas on top of the coffee table. Something in me summons me to check the bedrooms from upstairs. The guestroom is empty, the kids' room is also empty. That means one thing, she is in her master bedroom. I know very well she dislikes the two bedrooms from downstairs. I also do, no doubt about that. I open the door and find her sleeping peacefully. Finding someone worth waking up to is better than looking for someone to sleep with. I kiss her forehead and smile. I can’t believe she is here with me again. Lord knows how much this woman means to me. I play with my wedding band with mixed emotions taking in. I just wish that the baby she is carrying was mine. But it's okay, we will figure it out along the way. Hopefully we will have one of our own in the future. I was told by my sister that the first child Nozi gets to conceive will never be mine and indeed it truly happened. And for that, I only have myself to blame and not anyone else. I take time looking at her and something is just off about her. When asleep – she is a heavy breather, and she gets to move a lot in her sleep. Her breathing patten is not normal. I place my finger underneath her nose and there is that faint breath. I feel my heart striking abnormally making my body weaken. 
“Nozi!” I shake her in panic. A bottle drops on the floor - I feel my bladder getting full instantly. She can't do this to me, not when my life is starting to make sense because of her presence. I scoop her into my arms in a bridal style. She is just...
“Nozi, you know how to make me sweat!” I need to take her to the hospital before it's too late. 

____

They have been busy with her for almost an hour now. I cannot take the long wait. It’s just them getting to drain the dosage out of her system. I would have done it myself, but I couldn’t risk it – she is not alone, she has a little human being inside of her. I just want to know how she is doing. Two nurses walked past me...
“Excuse me. Are the doctors done with my wife?” They look at each other and frown. I shouldn’t have asked. They are just useless. 
“No sir.” Useless bunch of nurses. Aren't they supposed to see who comes and goes. Who gets to be admitted. I see the doctor making his way towards me. He stands in front of me, and I just know what is next. 
“How is she?” I cut him with all the formalities. I know that us doctors can waste one's time. He smiles. But I did not return one. Smiling for me is far from being visible. 
“I forget that you are a doctor yourself.”
“How is she?’ The wait is killing me. I just want to know her state. What really happened to her to drink the whole bottle? 
“She overdosed on painkillers. Luckily it did not harm the baby. The baby is alive and still very much active with a very strong heartbeat.” he taps on my shoulder. I sigh in relief. I don’t imagine anything happening to Nozi and the baby. This baby means so much to her. If she loses it, she would be torn apart. She would have been destroyed completely. She will just give up on life. “Was she trying to kill herself?? No matter how bad the situation is Noi would never consider taking her own life. This is defiantly farfetched to believe. 
“Did she say why though?” I am sure there is a story behind it. 
“She told us herself that she was having a headache, so she overdosed.” exactly! I know my Nozi will never do such! “I believe you should book her for counselling. She is not mentally okay, and she is pregnant...” Who is he now? My spokesperson. Nozi does not need any counselling. Girl is a solder, and she will survive this. 
“Can I go see her?” 
“Yes, but just for a little while. She needs rest.”