SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 11
NOZIMANGA

There is something about this husband of mine or maybe it's my mind pulling an all-nighter on me. He is seated in the dark and looks contemplated. I stand there by the stairs anticipating with myself whether to go down to him or not. As I am about to turn back, he notices me....
“You awake?” He sounds shocked to see me. I live in this house also – why would my presence affect him? 
“I’m just thirsty for water.” I say striding down the stairs. These days I am just parched. I feel I am unable to breathe at times and the next I am cold as Frozen. Maybe I have allergies - watching cartoons and I blame Zuri for it. I am not a fan of these but lately they have been shoved right down my throat and I have no option but to swallow. 
“You always thirsty these days.”
Say a man who never noticed my weight. I’m glad he noticed; I thought that maybe he has been stuck up in his own world. 
“I don’t know why.” I respond. 
“Maybe you are coming down with the flu.” he says standing up. He comes towards me and feels my forehead...
“But your temperature is very much normal.” he frowns giving me a hug. He knows how much I hate it when he smells this shaving cream of his. 
I immedicably have a cold sweat, and have an increased heart rate. My mouth also produces extra saliva making it hard for me to swallow. I cannot stomach the smell of his shaving cream. Everything gets piled up onto my throat. I pulled back from his embrace but too late everything splashed on his chest. Rainbow nation! I burp acid.
“Nozi!” He is disgusted that I know, I am also disgusted by my own seasoning. I don’t know why I am suddenly so emotional.
“It’s okay, don’t cry.” 
Bloody tears poured but no sound coming out of my mouth. 
I sigh taking off the shirt I was wearing. Now I have to clean up this mess I created but I don’t have the guts to. Talk about painting of creativity! 

After cleaning the rainbow nation, we decided to take a bath and wash the clothes we were wearing. I have to soak them in StatSoft cause the smell was awful even after a wash. Maybe it's my nostril playing tricks on me. Lately our bedroom has been giving me an off feeling I cannot put a finger on. But something is definitely up with it.  The sleep has run out...
“Simphiwe,” I shake for him lightly. 
“Hmmm,” 
“Don't come too close.” I speak. He chucks and comes closer on purpose and holds me from behind. 
“Did I tell you that they requested me to be at work for some operation that will take place two days from now.” 
New revelation to me. 
“No, you did not tell me.” 
“I must have forgotten.” 
“And your leg?” 
Last time I checked he cannot stand for too long. How will he pull this operation through? 
“I need the money babe, if I get to pull this operation...I would be paid double. We still need to travel to Anaconda’s, remember?” 
He says it is making me feel guilty. I didn’t tell me to go work his butt off to make me travel the world. 
“I would rather not go if it's going to be on my husband's health expense.” I say turning to face him. He still has his eyes closed.  I do what Zuri would do when one sleeping. I open his left eye with my left hand. 
“Stop.” 
His voice is just having that effect on me. It's just making me- somewhat love him even though I hate him for the pain he has put me through. 
“Or what?” I challenge him. I am out of sleep so he should consider himself out of sleep as well. 
He grabs my hand and makes me touch his hard self. 
“You hate my shaving cream so much; I wouldn't mind if you gave me some sweets for the night.”
WTF! He can lick his balls. 
“Forget it!” I swing around to face the other way giving him my back. His weight comes closer, his hand sneaks around my waste. 
“I knew you wouldn’t.”  
“Just sleep.” I speak. 

Waking up I the morning, I wake up to an empty side. I get off the bed and look around the guestroom. No sign of Simphiwe. Maybe he is in the toilet. I pick my phone up and scroll through to check if no messages. And there were none. 
“White,” I send and he blue tickets. I smile and shake my head. These codes are just bloody outrageous. I pass by Zuri’s room and she is still fast asleep. Giving me time to do my morning routine. A note left on Zuri’s changing station.
Okay, there's an emergency at home. I know very well that the emergency involves his mother. That woman can be a pain in a butt honestly. I head to the bathroom to do my facial routine and this gives me time to call ‘the man’. 
“Was waiting for your call.” 
Shame I've just whole him up. He looks so cute. 
“I’m sorry. Why didn’t you call me since I sent clear?” I ask. 
“Being woken up by you is the best.” 
Fresh music to my ears. 
“Will you be available in two days' time?” I ask leaning against the wall. 
“It depends who wants time.” 
“He is leaving, he said something about the big operation in Pretoria and he is needed.... bla, bla, bla...” He chuscks.
I brush my teeth and spit out the toothpaste. 
“What operation?” 
“I don’t know. I did not even ask.” I answer with my mouth filled with white foam. 
“I see,” 
I guggle my mouth and rinse the scrub off my face. We talk some more and share jokes. Jele makes me feel more of a woman. He understands me without even asking what is troubling me. Gets it when I get all cranky on him but he always knows how to bring that smile back on my face. 
“Let me begin cleaning, I want to sleep later on.”
“Call me when you are done.” 
Nothing much to do around the house, just doing the touch up. I want to go out and spend time with Sigujana and his family. I am just bored either way. I don’t even know when Simphiwe will come back. What if he is up to his old ways? My inner self asks. I shake my head no, maybe it's just me thinking too much of it.