SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

(unedited)
SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND 
CHAPTER 46
SIMPHIWE 

I do some excurse breathings to bring myself back from that down land. I don’t know why I am hurting this much. Or is it because I do not know how to deal with the hurt, I am facing. I take a deep breath. Time has passed. I've been sitting here for more than two hours. I checked my phone and there were no messages or missed calls from so cold family. What was I hoping for? You know what – as from this day forward I am writing them off. Nozi is my family after all, my only family that I will rely on when times are tough. It's so funny how my mother was so good at breaking my marriage apart without care. Now that she has broken it, she is playing far away from what she has broken. My phone rings my heart races thinking that its’ the woman who birthed me but it’s the hospital. I retrieve to answer. I am expecting some news. Good or bad. My heart has accepted whatever will be thrown in my face. I don’t know if I will be strong enough to accept defeat once again. 
“Sir, you are needed at the hospital. It’s urgent.” I don’t ask what is wrong. I start my car and drive off straight to the hospital. I parked in the wrong zone parking lot. I head straight to the receptionist area and was directed to the doctor's office. I find him seated like he is deep in thought. He smiles when he sees me and stands up to shake my hand. “Family man.” That is the name that I have been provided with since I spent my most quality time here in the hospital. 
“Doc, is everything alright with my wife?” I ask with my chest rising and down. I can’t bury another person. Jele’s funeral was too emotional for me - I don’t believe I am fit enough to attend another funeral. He takes a deep breath and takes his glasses off. This, I do not like. This reaction is something I do not want to see. 
“I don’t know how to put this.” 
“Did she finally leave me?” I ask with my shaky voice. I am hurt and...
“No, no, no. It's far better news than that.” 
“Can you just go straight to the point!” I snap. I am growing impatient. If he keeps going around in circles thinking it will solve the equation, then he is derailing my emotions. 
“Your wife woke up, but she suffered memory loss...” I do not wait for him to finish. I run straight to where Nozi is kept and surprisingly, she is not in the room she was in. I feel my stomach tying in knots. The nurse walks in pushing a wheelchair. 
“Excuse me. Where is my wife?” 
“Ow, she is the maternity ward with other p...” 
“I know what a maternity ward is.” I say rushing out. I know my way around this hospital. The doctor is following me behind shouting my name. I don’t want to see him; I want to see Nozi. I push the door open, and I am told that I am not allowed to be within these premises. I do not care. I was once a doctor – so they should consider that! The doctor is now right behind me. My eyes roam around trying to search for her and I do not see her at all. Which ward is she on? I ask myself. I turn to face the doctor.
“Where is she?’ I ask. All eyes on us. The doctor is panting trying to catch his breath. He should hit the gym more often.
“Private ward.” He answers. “You didn’t give me no to tell you everything. Please, follow me and stop rushing things.” I follow him this time around walking with him at a normal pace. 
“You said something about memory loss.” I swallow. Does she remember me?
“Yes. But months behind. In due course she will remember. The first thing she asked when she woke up was her husband.” I feel like screaming for the whole world to hear. So, Nosi actually remembers me! “Looks like you are the only person she remembers at the moment.” He said it, making me blush. Whatever the ancestors are doing they are definitely working overtime. There she is sitting straight up. She frowns looking at me but eventually bursts into tears. I rush towards her side and embrace her. Now that she awake, her stomach looks so huge. 
“Where were you?” she asks clinging onto me. “Who made me pregnant? Is it true that I am pregnant?” she asks looking straight into my eyes. I want to laugh so bad bit the situation is not allowing me. I will save this for another day. 
“I made you pregnant.” I say with a huge stuck in my throat. I wish I was the one that made her pregnant, but the circumstances said otherwise. I caress on her tummy. That is what I have been doing for the past months. The doctors said it will keep the baby alive – it’s they of me communicating. She starts crying all over again. I pull her to my chest and let her calm. I don’t want her stressing now that she is even more vulnerable. She will need me more than ever and I will need her more than ever. 
“It's okay my love.”
“I am happy that God finally answered our prayers.”
“You don’t remember being pregnant?” I want to be sure. She shakes her head no. She is weak but none the less very much grateful that God decided to give her another chance. I spend some time with her making sure that she is okay. She doesn’t have energy but at least I know that she is awake. It will take time for us to recover, but she will eventually when she has finally gotten back on her feet. I look at her peacefully sleeping and I must say she still looks beautiful even after that weight loss. I smile emotionally. I thank God for remembering me in most times. I need to ask the doctor when will she give birth. I find him around the passage looking all lost. 
“Are you okay?” I ask him. 
“Yea, just tired. Double shift.” I know exactly what he is talking about. Being a doctor is no child’s play. It requires real men for it and not just any man. 
“I can imagine. Look man I have a quick one here. About the baby. When will she give birth?”
“We will have to wait for her body to react. We can't take the baby out just because she is awake. If we go down that route, we might lose her.” Make sense. Fair enough, I agree with him. 
“About the hospital bills.” 
“What about them?”
“I am running out of pocket and...” 
“You paid in advance – all the bills to delivery. You do not owe the hospital a cent.” 
“Did I?” I do not remember anything!
“Yes. Look, I must go.” It was not me who made the payment. This has so much to do with Jele. He was prepared for everything. Some people know how to sort their lives in even death. I am still left confused with the blue blanket. Maybe it’s just a dream and I am reading too much into it. Where to from here? I will go home release the nanny and spend time with my kids. Maybe even bring them here, maybe Nozi might remember a bit. But what if I reveal that I got my kids through Infidelity. Probably not sending the kids to visit her. Maybe it will be a setback.