SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 6
NOZIMANGA

A whole month with my husband in hospital has been a total drag and honestly, I am tired with this back-and-forth visit. Today is the day he finally he gets to come back home to his family, where he belongs. With the help of Zuri – I have managed to stay sane. She made me forget about a lot of things. How I missed my own interview! Because of a woman who has a very big swank. I do not know how her husband survives, honestly. Does she even get to moan if she is being dished out? Stupid of me thinking about my mother in-law being nooky.
“Skoni, will that be all?” His sister asks. She is the only one I trust out of that whole family. Not that I have issue with them, but they started changing…
“Yes, I think I am sorted.”
“If that is the case, I will take Zuri with me, and you will see her tomorrow.”
I just want to bond with him without any disturbance. I know that he will want Zuri to be present, but this is my time, and I am very much demanding it.
I look at the table and feel satisfied. House cleaned, cooked his favourite meal – dumpling in chicken stew and his favourite beer in sight.
“I think I should get going.” I speak. “Call me if she gives you a hard time.”
“I doubt she will. I am the favourite rich aunt, right ZuriZuri.”
Talking to Zuri is like talking to a wall. She just stares at you with her big eyes and full lips. If all kids behaved like her – we would have called kids' angels. And another thing I have started warming up to her. My heart is starting to let loose. I believe this is because I have got to spend a lot of time, just the two of us,
“Call me if you change your mind.”
I shout as his sister drives out of the yard. Now it's me alone. I might as well also change and go to the hospital.
I change to my denim shorts and a vest and take myself to the hospital.

“You know very well I do not like those pants you are wearing.”
“Hello Simphiwe, how are you? I am fine too.” I smile giving him a kiss. He shall complain later, I'm am not in the mood for court cases today.
“Ready to go home?”
“I've been ready for a month!”
He no longer has the internal fixation but only unseen screws that are attached in the bones. He should have applied for RAF and have the benefits of eating governments money. But knowing him he will decline.
“Have you ever thought of applying for RAF?” I ask wheeling him out of the hospital.
“Do not start with me.” what did I say?
“Hau mbhemu, imali yamahhala!” I do not believe him. Maybe he signed some documents with my awareness and wants to go to Dubai all alone. Men are selfish.
“Just take me home.”
I am still going to push his buttons until he agrees to it. Doctor or no he is paralyzed here! Justification needs to be served. Even though he was at fault.
“Do you need anything?” I ask helping him to sit comfortably. My husband is so tall making it so hard for me to pick him up. I wanted to do it the bridal style way.
“Nothing, I just want to go home and take a set shower then spend time with my family.” he says. I nod understanding.

“Home sweet home.”
I open the door and wheel him in. He gasps looking at the decoration in the welcome home.
“Nozimanga!”
The looks on his face are priceless.
“Do you like it?” I don't know why I'm nervous cause his face says it all.
“No, I love it!” Merriment, written all over his face. My intestines loosen up making my whole body relax.
“What would you like to do first? Eat or shower?”
“Please, can I shower first then devour later.”
When was the last time I had dinner with my husband?  I am looking at him eating like it’s the food that only matters to him.
“What?” he notices that I'm staring. I haven't touched my plate - I have a lot of running question in my mind.
“Nothing.”
“Try another answer response. You seem to forget that I know you like n other.”
“I am just thinking how it would have felt like of we had a child of our own.”
He puts the knife on the plate and sighs boredly. I know baby talk, sometimes get to him.
“Nozimanga. Can we not fight today about the baby issue?”
“No, we are not fighting. Its just a concern phase I get to go through all the time. Never mind, let's just eat up the food is getting cold.”
I am hurt that he does not get to find the reason for us having a baby talk. I am hurt that he does not want to acknowledge my hurt. My heart is bleeding, now I will have to pretend that I am all fine. We continue eating in silence. I no longer have appetite. I am just contuse and wounded.
“Dessert?” I fake a smile.
He lifts his head to look at me and smiles.
“Natural or ready to prepare?”
My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
“Does he work?” I mean the main member.
I do not know whether I have become a comedian or what. It starts with a howl then a roar followed after. He is laughing his butt off. I am amazed – maybe I am somehow related to comedians. I remember how my dad will laugh at every wording of mines. And then he will say, ‘you remind me of you mothers wack stories’.
“I am so sorry. Yes, uMthiya works fine. Its just the leg hat is not working in the part of his body.”
I feel embarrassed.
“You just made my day Sisi.”
I don’t know whether it’s mockery or what. Rather fetch the dessert. It's nothing much but a red velvet cake, that he loves the most.
“What did I do to deserve this?”
“I don’t know. A welcome home I guess.”
A door bells. People cannot leave us alone in peace! Now I have to go open.
“We heard that he was discharged today, so we thought we might as well pop by to check on him.” I let his stuff is and follow them behind. Uninvited guests in my house! Three unknown males and two females. I look closely and see Jele amongst men. My heart freezes a bit. He is looking straight at me making me very much uncomfortable.
I will give them space and be in my room. I close the door and take a deep breath. I look at myself in the mirror…
“Hold yourself Nozimanga Prudence Shandu.”
Can't just Jele let me be?
The laughter downstairs…my phone receive a text message from an unknown number.
“Where did you disappear to?”
“Who's this?”
I text back and wait anxiously.
“Meet me in the back yard. I am about to leave.”
Is he crazy or what. I peep through the window and there he is leaning against the fireplace. My heart skips in habdabs. He smiles, I never knew he had such a pretty smile.
Great, he is now a sign language teacher. It's not working, and he can see that I am confused as fu**. He sends a text message…
“If you do not come down, I will wait here until you agree to see me.”
I read three times and chuck moving away from the window. I walk down the steps and they are watching soccer. The ladies have left.
“Where are you going?”
Simphiwe’s voice startles me.
“Erm, yes, no… I am going out for fresh air.”
I put the brave face on after stuttering.
“Babe, I am just pulling your legs. You can go outside. Don’t be gone for too long. You still owe me a homemade dessert.” He winks at me leaving me stunned.
I just walked out running leaving him in stitches. I take a deep breath when I get to be outside. Its now a bit chilly, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to rain later on. Talk about four seasons in one day.