SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 8

MARRIAGE COUNSELOR

Her body is here but not her mind! She is looking at the councilor talking but all she can see is just movements of the lips. The events of yesterday are gleam causing her to smile like a dunce. Her heart skips a bit.

“Mam, are you here with me?” 

The man seated across her asks. She looks at him and all the gleam vanishes. 

“Yes. I left a child with a male neighbor, so I am not okay inside.” she lies. 

“Ow I understand. Then we can re-schedule for tomorrow.” he says, closing his diary. 

“Please! Thank you so much. If my husband ever finds out that I left his daughter with a male stranger, it would be World War three in the house.” 

She is already on her feet. 

“A child’s life and safety come first. You may take your leave.” He says giving me a brief smile, she takes a deep breath and smile rushing out of the room. This feels like absolute victory!

“Clear,” 

I sent a quick message and he response within the blink of an eye. I jump a bit and smile to myself. Is this how Simphiwe left when he would cheat on me continuously? 

It must have been nice being him. I get into my car and drive out of this obtuse facility. I do not have time for stupid mind games. I am defiantly never come back here. I don’t see a point trying to fix a broken marriage. The day I will leave is the day he asks for a divorce. But right now, I am playing his game. 

SIMPHIWE 

“You are trying to tell me that you have another child god knows where! What did Nozi ever do to you? Dou you understand the humiliation you put her through these women you keep attracting?”

“Please, do not involve my wife in this.” 

“You should have thought about that before shooting your every sperm in every woman. Don’t you think you have broken her enough? You know what continue destroying this woman for the worst. Continue to change her and trust me she will be a devil. Trust me, once she does you would wish to drop her like a bomb because she would be something that you created! Allow your mother to run your household!” 

“Mtaka mah.”

I have never seen my sister Ziqubu so livid. She throws the baby in my arms making sure not to hurt her and storms out of the house. She comes back and stands by the door...

“By the way your father has a fifteen-year-old daughter!” she walks about again. I am left appalled. My father is way too old to have a lot of kids flying around. I took my phone and immediately dial his numbers. 

“Son,”

“Baba, is it true that you have a daughter out there?”

My chest is rising and down in anger.

“I am still your father. And yes, I have another child with another woman I am thinking of making my second wife since your mother is so much invested in your marriage forgetting that I have needs.”

“So, you cheated on purpose?” 

I ask. I am not getting any of this. 

“How you cheat on your wife on purpose that is how I cheated on mine.” 

He answers as if all of this is some sort of a joke.

“If you are thinking of lecturing me, compare yourself to me. The difference is I will never bring multiple women to play around with making enemies for my wife. I have been with both woman ever since I can remember. If your mother doesn’t accept that the door is fully open to come live with you since the priority right now is destroying your home.”