Chapter 5- The Crime of Decency

Tommy POV

Tommy did his best to help as many people as he could. Escorting people to the river and helping the guards put out the flames. He only wished he could do more.

As soon as he had heard news of the fire, he had dropped everything. Of course, his brothers were far slower, seeing no point in not finishing their meals first. But Tommy was not about to make the same mistake. And even when he found the outlaws helping people, he barely minded. His people came above everything, it was as simple as that.

It took a few hours for his brothers to join him. Galloping in with their shiny new armor and priceless saddles. By then the fire was out and the outlaws had disappeared. Tommy wondered why they had even bothered showing up.

"How nice of you make an entrance." Tommy commented, not caring who heard him. He could care less about his brothers' precious reputations.

"Shut up Thomas." Adam snarled. His eyes darted around to the crowd that had been gathered near the river. The older dismounted, painting a solemn look on his face. Any fool would mistake it for empathy. "People of River's Hollow! Know that this tragedy will be avenged. The people who did this will be punished, my brother and I will make sure of it. In the meantime, you are welcome to come to the castle where you will be treated as guests until we can find a more permanent placement."

The citizens looked at him, clearly as skeptical of Tommy. But what did they have to lose? They had nothing to lose. They began to gather anything they could before beginning their journey towards their supposed new home.

Lukas snickered, not even bothering to go to their level. "If only they knew."

Tommy glanced towards him, his heart pounding at his words. "What do you mean?"

"That is none of your concern little brother. You should be more concerned with the wrath of the king." Adam stated, quickly remounting his horse.

The blonde glanced at him, trying to hide the fear that burned through his eyes. "I don't know what you mean." he stuttered. Show no fear. Princes are not weak.

"Guards talk." Adam continued, a smirk lining his face. Tommy paled at his words, only making him smile wider. "Allowing outlaws to run free... Father will not be happy."

Tommy swallowed, standing up straighter. He didn't regret his actions. "I chose our people over the law. Last time I checked that was our duty."

"But outlaws are the biggest problem the kingdom faces. As princes, it's our duty to take care of them no matter what." Lukas reminded him.

"But they were helping!" Tommy protested. Why couldn't they understand? He made the right choice! "They saved over half the people before you guys even mounted your horses."

"Father won't know that." Adam clicked his tongue, urging his horse back towards the path. "He'll hear what heroes we are. And what a coward you are. Not wanting to leave your own meal to save your people." His laughter filled the air, fading as he gained more and more distance. Lukas followed after him, shaking his head in disappointment.

Tommy watched after them, looking towards his feet. Since when was being a good leader a crime? What was the kingdom coming to? He shook his head, turning back towards his people. He would worry about his punishment later. His people came first.

He went back to helping people, unaware of the pair of eyes that watched his every move.

------

Hope you liked it!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy