Chapter 37- A New Song

Tommy POV

Tommy hadn't been allowed to leave the house since the threat had been released. Phil would barely let him out of his sight in fear he would get attacked, or worse, taken from them. Training became a daily affair, with Techno working him twice as hard. Tommy understood why he did it, but it didn't make him any less tired.

The blonde walked around his own room, counting the hours as they went by. His sleep was never an escape from his nightmares. But with his brothers by his side, some days he got lucky. Sighing, he knew he couldn't stay in this room anymore. He needed to do something.

He left his room, puzzled to find the base silent. They must have left for their trip into town early. He meant to go towards the kitchen, but something caught his eye. Wilbur's guitar was leaned up against the bed, abandoned.

Tommy wondered. One foot in front of the other, he approached the instrument. It had been nearly a month since he last touched a guitar. He wondered if it still had the effect that he remembered. With everything that had happened... He wasn't sure if it would.

Sliding the strap over him, he held the fragile instrument in his hands. His hand glided over the wood, landing on each of the six strings.  Closing his eyes, he allowed himself to let go of everything he had been feeling. All the pain and hatred, all the grief... 

The strings vibrated softly, singing a sweet tune he had never heard of before. It wasn't lost like it usually was. It was sure of itself, bold almost. Tommy couldn't stop the smile that spread on his face. Maybe this is what he was missing.

The blonde was so focused that he didn't feel the green eyes on him. He only looked up upon hearing the voice. "You're not bad." Tommy jumped, his eyes darting around the room. Shifting uncomfortably, he spotted the figure leaning against the wall.

"How did you get in here?" Tommy demanded, putting the guitar away.

Dream rolled his eyes, "The entrance obviously. I thought they told you I was stopping by." Tommy raised an eyebrow, remembering no such conversation. "It's routine. After an ambush we always split the gold and bring it back to our bases. Not much of it, but enough to keep ourselves alive. Unfortunately it was my turn to bring the money back, which means I miss all the action."

The prince eyed him suspiciously. Something didn't seem right. "Then why are you still here?" he accused.

"I heard you playing and I got curious." Dream shrugged. "To be honest I didn't know who was playing, so I felt like I needed to find out."

"Well you found out so you can leave now."

The masked man chuckled, "I see you've picked up Wilbur's patience. I don't know why you're so on edge. If I wanted you dead, you would be."

A shiver crawled down Tommy's spine at his words. Why did he say it so casually? "There must be something else..." 

Dream nodded, standing up straighter. "I want you to help us."

"Help you?" Tommy repeated, wondering if his ears heard wrong. "I'm already part of-"

"No, I mean all outlaws. Join in the ambushes and helping the poor." the blonde explained. "After all, you do call yourself an outlaw, don't you?"

"Phil said-"

"So what? If you want to become a true part of the outlaws, you need to prove yourself."

Tommy paused, processing what he said. He did consider himself an outlaw... And helping the poor was something he wanted to do. Standing up for what was right... Was there anything better than that? "Why are you the one convincing me to join you guys?" 

Dream sighed, running a hand through his hair. "We've been struggling a bit lately... Phil wouldn't admit it, but we could really use a royal's help. He thinks you need more time. But I think you're ready." He turned towards Tommy. "So? What do you say?"

Tommy slowly nodded, knowing for a fact that Phil was going to kill him. But part of him believed this is what he was missing. Helping his family would fulfill him and it would send a message to his father. "But there's still people after me..." he began, already feeling the doubts fill his mind.

"Why do you think Techno is training you?" Dream offered. "Come on, we protect each other no matter what. You would never the exception to that rule." At Tommy's doubtful look, he added, "Imagine how angry the king would be when he realizes that you have an advantage on him?"

Tommy took a deep breath, "Okay. I'll help you."

-------

Hope you liked it!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy