Chapter 22- An Old Friend

Tommy POV

Tommy reached upward, ignoring the tears that filled his eyes. He needed to get out of here. He had just returned home... Or what he thought was home. He struggled for another moment before the whirl of thoughts took over. 

Even if he did get down, where would he go? Most of the kingdom would grow to hate him by morning... assuming they would believe the king. And even if they didn't believe his word, there was a good chance they hated royals anyway. And they had every right to. Tommy would probably have the same feelings if he was in their position.

The snap of a twig made him freeze. Low voices followed, only sending him into a panic. Tears dripped down his forehead as he struggled to undo the rope around his ankle. He needed to escape before they saw him. Panic drifted into desperation.

"-I'm hoping it's food! I'm starving!"

Tommy bit his lip, again glancing at the rope. What was he going to do? He had never wanted to disappear so badly in his life.

There was a pause as the footsteps came to a halt at the sight of him. Tommy froze, as anticipation took over him. He could only pray they hadn't heard the accusations yet. Maybe they would just let him go.

"Prince Thomas?" 

"Why is he here?" 

"... Tommy?" 

The blonde's eyes widened at the last voice. It was a voice he hadn't heard in so long... Could it really be him?

"Get him down!" the figure shouted, instantly racing towards the rope that kept him up. The other members silently watched, clearly having mixed feelings they didn't want to share. The rope was cut, immediately dropping Tommy to the group.

Tommy let out an oof as he collided with the ground. His savior knelt by his side, immediately checking to make sure he was okay.

Tommy glanced at the man slowly. "Sam?" he murmured in disbelief. The outlaw smiled down at him, the same smile he always had. Tommy couldn't remember the last time he had seen the older, it had to have been years by now. They had been the best of friends before he had been cast out.

Sam's eyes glazed over with concern, "You alright Toms?"

The boy quickly nodded, allowing Sam to help him to his feet. He couldn't help but smile at the nickname. It had been so long since he had heard it.

"Hate to break up the reunion, but why are you here Prince Thomas?" Quackity raised an eyebrow.

"His name is Tommy." Sam growled.

"Why are you so protective of him?" Karl questioned, generally curious. Clearly he had never seen this side of Sam before.

"He-" Sam bit his lip, glancing towards the boy. "We were friends before I was outcast."

Tommy nodded, avoiding the older's gaze. He wished he could have continued to be friends with him after he had been outcast. And he had tried to be. But after the first time he had been caught trying to sneak out, he had never gotten close again.

Sam looked at him, surprisingly having no resentment in his eyes. He was still the old Sam, forgiving and kind as always. "What are you doing out here Toms?"

Tommy immediately froze at the question. He hadn't done anything wrong... or had he? Running a hand through his knotted hair, he kept it short. "They casted me out..." 

"They what?!" Sam was outraged.

The blonde avoided his eyes. What would he think when he found out the whole story? Would he think of him differently? "I-I don't really have anywhere to go..."

Sam exchanged a look with his friends, asking an unspoken question. 

"No! Absolutely not!" Quackity responded. "That will only cause conflict between us and the Dream Team, and we certainly don't need that." His voice was firm.

"But-"

"Besides, we can barely take care of ourselves." Karl added, sending Tommy a sympathetic look.

Tommy shrunk back. He didn't know what to expect. Maybe a part of him was hoping they would take him in. But that was unrealistic and he knew that.

Sam wasn't giving up so easily. "Well where is he supposed to go?!" he glared.

"It's not our problem!" Quackity retorted, glaring right back. "He is fully capable of figuring it out himself. He's the prince for God's sake!" He paused, not bothering to wait for answer. "Let's go. We can only hope our other traps actually have food."

Sam thought for a moment. "What if we took him to the Sleepy Boys?"

Karl raised an eyebrow, "Why would they want him?"

"They offered to take him, didn't you hear that?" Sam explained. "Sapnap wouldn't shut up about it after they came back."

"I-I'm not sure about them..." Tommy's voice trailed off.

"Well they're your only option." Quackity crossed his arms. He didn't care where the blonde went, as long as he wasn't one of their problems.

"We better get going before the sun sets." Sam wrapped an arm around the boy. 

But that didn't calm Tommy's hammering heart. 

-------

Hope you liked it!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy