Chapter 21- To Do What's Right

Note- this does involve cruelty 

Tommy POV

Tommy creaked the door open, peeking his head out. The hallways were deserted with a ghostly glow. The blonde took a deep breath before slipping outside. If he got caught there was no telling how angry the king would be.

But he was sick of sitting around. If his father wasn't going to do the right thing, then he had  no choice but to act himself. So here he was, making his way through the castle. Step after step, he attempted to make no sound. But it was near impossible with the marble floors.

Halfway down the hall, he froze at the sound of oncoming footsteps. Tommy quickly dove behind the corner, making sure he was out of view. Peeking around the corner, confusion filled his face.

The queen raced past him, constantly looking over her shoulder. She was on a mission, that much was certain. What was she running from, he wondered. Tommy was about to run after her, but stopped himself. He knew she would try to stop him from doing what he needed to do.

Waiting until she was out of sight, he continued onward. Past doors and windows he went. His destination was just around the garden, where a new foster care had arose. He didn't even know how many children there were. But all that mattered in that moment was one.

The night air bit at his ears as he raced through the garden. There was a house just outside the castle, isolated from the royal life. It was small, equivalent to the size of the children who lived in it. The house was well kept, mostly overseen by maids. The little house was peaceful.

Tommy slowly crept into the door, closing it tightly behind him. It was dark, with not even the scent of a candle. He made his way across the room, sneaking around every door way. Now all he had to do was find the child... 

Immediately he began looking around room after room, searching for the child. Thankfully, most of the children were between the ages of five and ten, so it wouldn't be hard to find the baby. Tommy's heart hurt for all the kids he couldn't take with him. He could only promise he would come back for them.

Sneaking around, he was careful not to wake them. His heart began to beat faster as the remaining children lessened. Where was the child? Why wasn't he with the others? 

The sound of a baby's cry made him skid to a halt. Where was that coming from? Immediately he changed directions, heading towards the sound of the voice. It lead him out of the orphanage and into the garden. 

He gasped when he spotted the child. There the king stood, a smirk on his lips. "Shouldn't you be in bed Thomas?" His head tilted towards the moon ahead.

"I have to do what's right." Tommy shook his head. "What you're doing is wrong and you know it. You have no right to take a child away from a mother. Especially when you're the reason why they can't take care of their own!" 

Two figures appeared behind the king, one holding the squirming baby. Tommy's eyes narrowed on his brothers. They both wore a blank stare, like they had been programmed for this. A bad feeling pooled in his chest.

"I have my reasons, none of which you care to understand."

"Let me take the child home, please Father." he begged, tears filling his eyes.

The king shook his head. "You must learn your lesson. You should never question my judgement." He nodded to Adam, who brought his hands closer to the child's neck.

"The child had nothing to do with this!" Tommy ran forward, only to be pushed back by Lukas.

The king glanced towards the blonde. "You should have let it be Thomas. The child would have found a loving home and lived a good life. But because of you he must face the consequences."

"No!" Tommy shrieked, watching as the child was dropped to the floor, his cries silenced. His hands began to tremble. Who could be so cruel? "How... How could you?"

"A king must do as he must." Oliver shrugged, completely unbothered by the blood that began to spill across the floor. "But remember who the real murderer is."

"I-I-" Tommy didn't know what to think. Could it really be his fault? No... or was it? His knees buckled under his weight as he trembled. He had never witnessed something so cruel. He never thought anyone could be capable of something so awful.

The king and princes turned towards the castle once more, a loyal guard coming to clean up the mess. Oliver turned one final time, "I suggest you disappear... before word gets out."

Tommy struggled to his feet, overcome with emotion. If it weren't for him the child would still be alive... Now the mother will never see her baby again. His promise was broken.

He didn't know what was happening as he ran. Away from the life he had always known. Before he knew it, he was surrounded by forest. He only made it a few steps before his feet were swept from under him.

He screamed in surprise, suddenly finding himself completely upside down.

----------

Hope you liked it!

Sorry this chapter sucks... 

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy