Chapter 17- Outrage

Tommy POV

Tommy rushed into the castle, his heart hammering in his chest. Traitor was a new one. He had been called so many things before. Prince Thomathy was the worst. But traitor? That was on an even lower level. Did the guards have to believe everything his father blurted out? Besides, there was no evidence behind it. It simply wasn't true.

Passing through the gates, he pulled himself out of his thoughts. He needed to focus. After all, he was headed towards the last person he wanted to see. His father. Tommy's heart still hadn't healed from the night before.

Glares followed him as he went. But unlike every time before, it actually bothered him. Did they all believe he was a traitor too? Did they really have no respect for him? Friendship was out of the question, he knew that. But he had hoped for at least a sliver of respect. Now that possibility was gone too.

Before he knew it, he was standing in front of his father's door. Closing his eyes, he ignored the stiffness in his hand and knocked.

There was a pause before a rough voice came through.

"Come in."

Tommy swallowed, gathering all of his courage before pushing the door open. He entered the room, immediately shivering. The room was large, filled with strange items. Swords and ancient books, relics and jewels. But the worst part of the room was his father's chair. The king's back was to him, accompanied by the scribbling of a pen.

"Thomas." he spoke, still not bothering to face him.

Tommy stood tall, attempting to hide his trembling hands behind his back. "Father." he said, matching the king's tone.

The chair cried out as the man stood up. The king immediately looked down on him. "What do you want boy?"

"A guard took a baby today, curtsy of your orders and I want to know why." he got straight to the point. Tommy stood tall, folding his arms.

The king sighed, "I figured you would have an opinion on that. After all, you have to have an opinion on things you don't even understand, don't you?" He rubbed the bridge of his nose, a dramatic sigh escaping his lips.

"I-" But the king didn't allow him to finish.

"Taxes have no exceptions to anyone. That is a law that had been established before I was even king. If someone cannot meet the deadline, there are consequences. First comes the house. It makes room for the people who do pay and meet every deadline. As for the children, it is in their best interest to be brought into foster care. There they will be safe and well provided for."

"Out of the best interest of the child?" Tommy repeated in disbelief. "Do you hear yourself Father?"

The king's eyes narrowed on him. "No child should ever grow up on the streets. Is that too hard for you to agree with?"

Tommy glared at him. "It's not their fault they're being forced to grow up on the streets! You're the one taxing them until they have nothing left! They can't make money appear out of thin air." He paused, shaking his head. "They're not the problem. You are."

The king froze at his words. Stepping forward, he drifted towards the shelves. "The outlaws are the problem. I think you're forgetting that."

"The outlaws are the only reason we have people to rule over. They're doing what you should have been doing a long time ago. Protecting the vulnerable! Is that so hard for you to understand?!" Tommy shouted, the passion filling him like a balloon. He had never yelled at his father before. He had never felt so free.

The king smirked, his finger gliding over the handle of a sword. "There's so much you don't understand."

"I understand plenty. It's you who doesn't understand."

The king glanced towards him, fury filling the little light he had in his eyes. One step after another, he approached Tommy. But this time, Tommy stood his ground. The promise kept him grounded. The man's hand began to outstretch, but it would never make its destination.

"Stop! Oliver what are you doing!?" his mother's voice echoed throughout the room. Before he knew it, he was standing in his shadow. 

"Teaching this boy a lesson. Get out of my way."  he demanded, attempting to go around her. But Anne was not one to move. She would protect her child no matter what.

Keeping her eyes on her husband, she whispered to Tommy. "Get out of here. I'll handle this."

Tommy hesitated. "But I-"

"Go." she commanded.

He turned on his heel, finally leaving the room. He hated leaving his mother with that monster, but he knew better than to argue. The queen was strong. 

That much he knew.

---------

Hope you liked it!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy