Chapter 36- Easy Gold

Techno POV

The days didn't get much better as they passed. Nightmares plagued every night, even with Wilbur and Techno comforting him. The brothers did everything they could to help the blonde. Singing to him, reading to him, even sleeping by his side. 

But the sleepless nights didn't stop coming. And they didn't stop trying to help. 

But more problems seemed to arise. One night Phil entered the house, distraught. A paper was hidden in his fist, crumbling more and more in his tight grip. Techno glanced up from his book, raising an eyebrow. He couldn't remember the last time he had seen Phil so angry.

"Where's Tommy?" Phil demanded harshly.

"Out with Wilbur. He finally got him to leave the house." Phil froze at his words. Techno stared at him in alarm. "What is it? I figured you would be proud-"

"Grab your sword, we're going after them." Phil ordered, not even waiting for the pinkette's response. 

Techno didn't need to be told twice. He sprinted down the hallway and into his room, barely stopping before grabbing his sword. By the time he returned to the front door, Phil was already out the door.

With his heart pounding, he raced after him. He could barely keep up with the man. Past tree after tree, they ran. Where they were going, Techno wasn't sure if Phil even knew. But fate seemed to be on their side as Techno spotted his brothers.

Techno's heart nearly caught in his throat as he saw the situation. There his brothers stood, back to back, completely surrounded by outlaws. The people who were meant to be their allies had turned on them. Techno willed his legs to run faster, allowing the adrenaline to fuel his movements.

"Leave them alone!" Phil bellowed, revealing the silver of his blade. Several of the outlaws seemed to back off a bit at his tone, but others only seemed to walk closer. Phil came to stand beside Wilbur, attempting to hide Tommy behind him. Techno joined him, daring anyone to step closer.

"This has nothing to do with you Phil." Skeppy glared, his eyes locked on the prince. "All we want is the prince."

"What does Tommy have to do with anything?" Wilbur demanded, his blood beginning to boil.

"Haven't you seen? The reward for his capture is enough to feed a whole village for months!" Quackity exclaimed.

"The reward for his death is even greater." Dream commented thoughtfully.

Techno could barely hold back his anger. He was a child, not some tradeoff for gold! How could they be so blind? "You won't come anywhere near him." he said coldly.

"People are starving." Deo spoke up, circling around the group.

"And that makes murder right?" Wilbur said in disbelief.

"It makes the sacrifice worthy." Sapnap pointed out.

The group didn't move, still holding the same defensive stance. They would move heaven and earth to protect Tommy, that much was clear.

"We're allies." Phil reminded them, "Do you really want to lose that?"

Deo hesitated, exchanging a look with the rest of his crew. Loyalty was always held the highest among them. "You really willing to defend him?" his voice trailed off. It was just so out of character for them.

"Yes." Phil locked eyes with him. "Because someday he could become our king."

The outlaws murmured around each other, laughing at the idea. After all, when was the last time they had a good king?

George stepped closer to them, lowering his sword slightly. "And why should that mean anything to us? He's a royal! That itself is enough for us to hate him!"

"He's different then the others!" Wilbur stepped closer to the brunette, pushing him backwards. "He's kind and selfless! He's more humble than he has any right to be! If there's anyone we should put our hope in, it's Tommy."

The groups processed this idea, speaking through the different looks they gave each other. Some seemed to be at peace with the thought, well others only gripped their swords tighter. But one thing was for certain, they were waiting to see what Dream was going to do.

The masked man in question, stood there, still processing Wilbur's words. He sighed, standing up straighter. "You believe that Tommy is the future of the kingdom?"

Without a moment's hesitation, Techno said, "Yes."

Dream considered this before sheathing his sword. "Well I suppose that's it then."

Karl gasped, barely believing ears. When was Dream the one to back off? "Dream, you can't mean-"

"We'll leave them be for now." the blonde kept his eyes on Tommy. "But the moment our doubts become real, the threat for his head will be anyone's game."

Then without another word, he turned on his heel, indicating to the rest of his team to follow. Reluctantly, the others groups of outlaws followed. Whether they agreed or not, didn't matter. Their respect for Dream went above everything.

Techno turned to Tommy, once he was sure they were gone. "Are you okay?"

The blonde nodded, looking away in guilt. "You didn't have to-"

"Yes I did. Don't even start that." Techno cut him off. He wouldn't even entertain the idea. "I would never not defend you."

Techno could only hope that Tommy believed him.

----------

Hope you liked it!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy