Chapter 12- The Prince Problem

Techno POV

Techno dragged his feet as much as he could, hoping with every step to delay his family. But much to his annoyance, they only seemed to walk faster. He just didn't understand why they were going. Why should they care what happened to the prince? Dream's business was nothing but his own.

Regardless, he continued to follow his family. Not only because he was willing to stick by their side no matter what, but because he simply didn't trust Dream. He was the outlaw who was most likely to stab you in the back.

The woods only seemed to grow thicker the further they walked. Away from the villages and towns and into unmarked territory. Any rational person would have turned back, believing themselves to be lost. But Phil knew the way very well.

Wilbur stood close to Techno, practically glued to his side. The older knew he wasn't a big fan of the unknown. Techno wasn't either, but he was much better at hiding it.

"We're nearly there." Phil announced after a few more steps.

"I don't know how you can tell." the pinkette remarked. Everything looked the same to him.

The man chuckled, "Experience is a wonderful thing Tech."

"So I've heard."

A snap echoed from behind them, causing the trio to whip around. Failing to surprise them, stood George himself. The brunette raised an eyebrow, nodding out of respect.

"What are you doing here? Dream didn't mention any last minute meeting." he approached them, one hand on his sword.

Phil ran a hand through his hair, clearly having not thought of a possible answer. But as always, Wilbur's nerves came in handy. "We figured Dream would want to hear how the kingdom is responding. With the prince being here, I doubt you've left much."

George thought for a minute, studying the group. "That could be helpful."

"Could we see him?"

Again, George hesitated. "I'm not sure."

"Well when are you going to be sure?" Techno asked, stepping towards him. He ignored the warning glare from Phil. He knew what he was doing. George wouldn't do anything for them without a threat.

George swallowed, adjusting his glasses. "I-I'll go get Dream." he scurried off, vanishing out of sight.

Phil sighed, "Do you always have to scare him?"

Techno shrugged, "If it speeds things up, then yes." Wilbur snickered behind him, causing the pinkette to smile. He even managed to spot a hidden smile from Phil.

It didn't take long for George to return, this time with Dream. The masked man looked the same as usual with his mischievous tint. "I thought you wanted nothing to do with my plan." he commented, folding his arms. For a masked man, he had no problem with being expressive.

"Me too." Techno said under his breath, but Phil was quick to talk over him.

"We don't. We just wondered what your plan was."

Dream chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. "I forgot you're the outlaws with soft hearts." he continued, pretending not to see Techno's glare. "I'm still waiting for an offer."

"If you haven't gotten one by now, you're not going to get one." Techno commented. "The king is barely even looking for him based on the amount of guards he sent out."

Wilbur immediately turned to the outlaw, a look of concern filling his face. "What are you going to do if you don't get an offer?"

George gave Dream a warning look, most likely attempting to remind him who he was talking to. The blonde paid no mind, "Worse case we kill him."

Techno couldn't believe what he was hearing and by the looks on Wilbur and Phil's faces, they couldn't either.

"Dream, we're thieves, not killers." Phil pointed out. He was shifting from foot to foot, still processing his words.

But Dream was quick to jump to his defenses. "And the royals are meant to help the poor, but what do they do? Tax every last cent they can. Besides, we protect the poor, not the rich. The boy is a problem just like the rest of his family. Killing him is the easiest answer."

"Let us take him then." Phil jumped in, far too eager from the start.

Techno glanced at him in shock. What was he doing? They were not about to take a royal into their family. He was nothing but a problem and they already had enough of those. Besides, he should have some say in this!

"Take him?" Dream repeated, staring at the blonde. "Did you not understand? If I don't get money for him then he's dead. It's as simple as that." Even George seemed to shiver at the directness of his words.

"He's nothing but a kid."

"He's the son to the king. That makes him an enemy." Dream insisted.

Phil sighed, again shifting from foot to foot. "Killing is never right. Isn't that one of our agreed morals?"

The masked man was quick to huff, "He's the son of the king!"

"But that doesn't make him the king. He should not pay for the sins of his father, especially when he probably had nothing to do with them!" Phil was not about to back down. Dream stared at him for a moment before shaking his head.

"What would you even do with him? Return him?"

Phil thought for a moment. "I would show him our side of life."

"Like that would work." Techno rolled his eyes. A kid couldn't change a king's mind. Especially when it came to money.

"He's still young. He has potential." Wilbur added, sending Phil a smile.

"Suck up." the pinkette mumbled, earning a snicker from the younger. If only Wilbur knew who the favorite really was.

"Phil, showing that kid around won't do anything. He's lived a life of royalty and he will do anything to preserve it." Dream stated plainly. "Killing him is the best thing to do. It'll be good for everyone."

"What if we use him as a distraction?" George suddenly piped up.

The group turned towards him, some in relief, one in annoynace.

"What do you mean?"

"The royals must care about him to some extent, even if it's just his image. So why not use that to our advantage?" the brunette continued, getting more and more excited.

Dream stared at him before he finally smiled. "That's not a bad idea. I have been meaning to hit their stash for some time now... and he's the perfect way to get in."

"But how would you get out?" Techno asked, already seeing the flaws.

Dream looked towards him. Even with him wearing a mask, the pinkette could practically see his real smile.

"That's where you three come in."

---------

Hope you liked it!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

-Snowy