2

Lieta's POV:

„You will be treated as guests and will be staying in Hawthorne manor, till you return home." Alisa told us, as she lead us into this mansion. She left in a hurry, leaving us to be greeted by Grayson Hawthorne again.

„Can I take your jackets?" he asks, offering out his arm. Libby and I agree, though Avery seems to hold back.

„He can't kill us yet." I tell her, but I don't think she really cares. She seems to be much more worried, than when she was trying to get me here.

„Ah these must be Ava and Lia!" a woman in her 40s says walking towards us.

„Avery and Lieta." Avery points out, not seeming to like the woman. I don't have an opinion just yet.

„Close enough." she smiled, taking Avery's face into her hands.

„What's your star sign dear.?" she asks, I block her out, as I look around the foyer. It's big and luxurious, whoever designed it did not hold back on the gold or anything for that matter. Even the carpet seemed to have cost hundreds of thousands. Though I'm guessing that's normal for a philanthropist.

„And your star sign dear Lia." she cups my face, as I hear the blond sigh behind me.

„Lieta, Skye."  he tells her, isn't this his mother? Why would he call her by her first name?

„Yes, yes. Now. Virgo? Or maybe Scorpio, you seem to have a rough edge to yourself." she pats my cheek, I shake my head.

„Sagittarius." I tell her. She nods in understanding.

„Rough edges, yet sweet clothing, does make sense yes."she nods.

„Does it?" I sigh quietly, as she walks back into the great room. I hadn't realised that Avery and Libby had already left, leaving me with Mr. blond.

„I think it's about time we enter the room. It'll be starting soon." he tells me, pointing towards the entryway his mother had entered through.

„Yes, Mr. Hawthorne." I nod leaving him there. I don't know if he wanted to be called by his first or last name. So I went with the safe option. Avery probably hadn't and she had probably already insulted him by now. Especially if his mother was around.

*

„You are here," Mr. Ortega said, his voice loud and clear, „to hear the last will and testament of Tobias Hawthorne' instructions, my colleagues will now distribute letters he has left for each of you."

The 3 men, who had been standing in the corner waiting for their queue started walking down the isles of seats we were in. They handed everyone their letters, first the family members, then a man in all black, Alisa and finally my sister and me.

I turned the envelope over in my hand. It was weird to have not known this man, yet he apparently wrote something to me. I genuinely hope it says something along the lines of: „Annoy my family." or something. Now that would be fun.

„You may open these letters when the reading is concluded."

„Mr Hawthorne stipulated that all of the following individuals must be physically present for the reading of this will: Skye Hawthorne, Zara Hawthorne-Calligaris, Nash Hawthorne, Grayson Hawthorne, Jameson Hawthorne, Alexander Hawthorne, and Ms. Avery Grambs and Lieta Cege of New Castle, Conneticut."

Everyone seemed to stare at us. Fair.

„Since you are all here", Mr. Ortega continued,"we may begin."

Mr. Ortega started talking about the Laughlins, he had handed them 100'000 dollars apiece and the property they were currently staying in. It seemed that Tobias Hawthorne liked to give away money.

His bodyguard guard was given a hefty summary of 300 thousand and a toolbox... You would hope there's something good in there. Yet maybe they were all attached to something he had owned throughout his life.

Mr Ortega went on to say, that his daughters were only getting 50'000 dollars apiece. His daughters. This man had one trick up his sleeve and that trick was him trying to disown his family. Avery's legs were tapping the floor, as Zara's husband started yelling at the lawyer. I held onto her arm, rubbing small circles trying to remind her to breathe. I wasn't doing too well myself. Why was I even here?

Mr Ortega then echoed words through the hall. The will was ironclad. They were screwed. There was no way they could break it without anything spectacular happening or having happened. They couldn't change the outcome in a million years.

Then for the grandsons. If they weren't inheriting the place then it might as well go to charity at this point. What was this man on?

„Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars apiece, payable on their twenty-fifth birthdays, until such time to be managed by Alisa Ortega trustee."

„What?" Alisa spoke up, her face carrying shock. „I mean...what?"

„The hell," Nash told her pleasantly. "The phrase you're looking for, darlin' is what the hell."

"There must be a mistake." I spoke. There must be.

"Clearly there is. He never would've done any of this." Grayson Hawthorne stood up. His face was as hard as a stone. He looked like he was ready to kill.

"May we finish?" Mr. Ortega interrupted. The room nodded.

"My homes outside the state of Texas, excluding my cabin in the snow go to Avery Kylie Grambs." Avery shook with every word, as I stared at the man, my eyes wide.

"My cabin in the snow, including the Hawthorne foundation are to go to Lieta Mae Cege and the remainder of my estate, including all properties, monetary assets and worldly possessions not otherwise specified, I leave to be shared by Avery Kylie Grambs and Lieta Mae Cege." Mr. Ortega's voice finished. No one said a word.

No one dared to look at each other. None of this was supposed to have happened, all I even expected to maybe get was a rusty watch from the 1700's. Now I'm stuck with over 42 billion dollars and a foundation.

And Avery's stuck with 42 billion dollars and presumably a bunch of holiday homes.

Not wanting to suffer in the silence any longer I get up and exit the room. No one followed. I stared at the garden outside of the window. I had no idea how to get out of this room. To them it's just the entrance hall, to me this is a whole apartment or even a small house. My head can't seem to wrap around the concept of things. Nothing seems real and nothing seems right.

Behind me I hear a door open and shut again.

"How?" I hear the familiar voice. Even though it had never been warm, it had never sounded like it would kill me. But now it did.

"I don't know." I said, turning over to look at the blond man staring at me.

"What did you tell him? What did you do to him?" Grayson Hawthorne seethed. I blinked, not saying anything for a few minutes, though he just kept tapping his right foot to the floor.

"I don't even know who he is or who he was. I want to know, just as much as every person in that room, how this has happened. I'm just as shocked as you." I tell him, he scoffs rather loudly.

"I will find out-"

"Please do. I just told you, I want to know too." he stared at me for a moment, turned around and reentered the great room.

I think I might've landed myself in a large mess.

(27/8/22)