40

I was still in Grayson's room, same position as the past two hours. My back was beginning to stiff, but I wasn't going to wake him up for something small like that.

The door burst open, breaking the silence, as Avery and Jameson ran in. Grayson stirred and groaned, trying to sit up, I held him down not wanting him to get dizzy and fall.

"We've got something." Avery said rather loudly, looking down towards myself and Grayson.

"Sorry." she said more quietly, as she looked at Grayson. His eyes weren't as red anymore, which was a relief. I knew he wouldn't want anyone to know of what had happened a couple hours ago.

"We uncovered more clues, whilst you were out and Grayson was- who knows where." Jameson said, as I glared at him. He just shrugged and handed me a folder.

"Can't we discuss this later?" Grayson muttered, as Jameson looked back at him.

"When you're less dead-looking, no." he smirked, whilst Grayson turned around and put his head onto my stomach.

"Point is, we have hints and clues and you, do not." Jameson's smirk grew, as I raised an eyebrow.

"You're drunk." I stated, as Avery turned around.

"You're drunk?" she questioned annoyed, as Jameson shook his head.

"Am not." he slurred, making me shake my head. At times I thought they were made for each other and at other times I wanted her to find someone who didn't succumb to drinking so easily.

"He's drunk." I said again, as Avery looked away angrily.

"Doesn't matter. The point is we've solved clues." she stated again, as Jameson sent me a crooked grin.

"Jamie, you better get rid of that damn habit." Grayson muttered, sitting up slowly, as he accepted the folders from my hands.

"It's not your problem." he mentioned, as Grayson shook his head: "Maybe not the habit, but you are my problem."

"Bastard."
"Language."

"Can we talk about the most important thing?"Avery complained, as I nodded, whilst looking over Grayson's shoulder at the files.

"Toby's handwriting looks an awful lot like the signature on my birth certificate." Avery stated, as I looked up at her my eyes wide.

"You're not saying-"
"Toby may be my dad."
"Which would mean-" Grayson interrupted.
"That there's a reason why I was brought here."
"Doesn't explain why I'm here though." I muttered, as Avery looked down at me.

"Does it look like the writing in yours?" she asked carefully, as I shook my head and Grayson answered.

"Not at all."

Avery huffed and started pacing the room, Jameson leaned against the bedpost and Grayson and I just stared at the clues they had solved.

"Why would he hide so long, if the goal is to find him?" Grayson questioned, letting me answer.

"I don't think he wants to be found." I shrugged, as Avery looked over.
"We have to find him."

"Avery-"
"No, we have to find him."
"Heiress-"
"Don't 'Heiress' me, we need to find him. If he's my father than my whole life's been a lie. I need to know the truth."

"Your life's not been a lie." Grayson stated, as I placed a hand onto his shoulder, to let him know this was okay.

"Avery, think about it. It may not be a good idea."
"Please." she begged, as tears threatened to spill out of her eyes.

"Let's go outside." I stood up, leaving a kiss on Grayson's cheek. Carefully I placed my hands onto her shoulders and brought her out into the corridor. There neither Grayson nor Jameson would be able to hear us, thanks to the thick walls. Even if they did, they had enough problems of their own to discuss.

"What's going on?" I rounded on her, as she shook her head.
"Nothing."

"Liar." I stated, crossing my arms, as she shook her head.

"It's just.." she started, but couldn't bring herself to finish. I gave her time, as she paced the room.

"We figured out clues and it's all too much. Toby may be my father, meaning we might not even be blood related. Jameson's getting drunk every other week and I can't deal with him either. You know how much I would give to have some stability like you and Grayson? A lot!" she let out, as I breathed in a sigh.

"Ave, it doesn't matter whether we're actually related by blood, you're still my sister. And Jameson will hopefully come around. Since you two have been hanging out it's become less and less and I get it, I question why he can't just drop it for you, because it's clearly not alcoholism. It's his way of fun, even though it's not. I guess we just have to hope."

"I just want some stability. He's always playing a game. I don't want to be a game!" she complained, as I nodded.

"Every Hawthorne boy thinks life's a game. That's how they were raised. For the record, Grayson and I aren't perfect. Do you know how long it took me to trust him? I haven't even told him I love him yet, because I'm absolutely terrified." I shook my head in disbelief, as she sniffled.

"You love him?"
"Yes." I swallowed thickly. Avery came over and hugged me. She was a top tier hugger and I couldn't resist wrapping my arms around her.

"Good." she nodded, as I laughed.

"Jameson'll come around. Hawthorne's play to win." I said quietly, as she nodded.
"You think us falling in love is them winning?"she asked quietly, making me sigh.

"Why do you think I'm scared?" I gave her a question in return, instead of an answer.

"Because you'd admit he's won. ...But he's won hasn't he?" she squeezed me tighter, as I just let myself breathe.

"A long time ago."

*

(4/8/23)