Rule The World

The Leaky Cauldron
Jenny had been working at the Leaky Cauldron for almost a month by this point, and she had yet to see George Weasley again. Some might say she had developed a fixation on the man, looking out for him every night she worked, but she had never noticed anyone matching his description enter the bar.

She also hadn't seen the man she had suspected may be George Weasley since her first night, and the night she met Ron. This strengthened her presumption they were one and the same.

That night felt like a dream a month later, she has worked almost every night she physically could, for she didn't have much else to focus her attention on. There was also the fascination regarding George Weasley to pull her into work most nights. She was certain at some point he would return, most likely when he figured the heat had died down from Ron looking for him. She had no doubt in her mind that George didn't want Ron to find him, and she was curious to find out why.

She was nearing the end of her Saturday night shift, it had been busy, but the bar closed in ten minutes and most of the customers had cleared out, ready to continue their parties in their own homes. It was joyful, seeing so many people so full of happiness and enjoying socialising following so many years of hostility and trauma. People were finally picking themselves up and moving on from the tragedy of the war, putting their loss behind them and progressing through life.

As she pondered all of the people who were able to move on following the battle, the door opened and the cold air of the October night blew through the door. And there he was.

"A fire whisky, please," His voice was equally as rough as it had been the month prior, and he didn't meet her eye as he hadn't the first time she had seen him.

"Coming up, but we're closing soon," Jenny stated, and the man's head snapped up.

"It's you," He said simply, and she was confused. Did he remember her? Or was he confused about who she was? Did she look like someone else he knew?

"I don't think we've met before," She responded, handing over his fire whisky, eager to keep the discussion going but also fully aware that the bar was about to close.

"You've served me before," He didn't seem to be a man of many words, and Jenny found herself eager to convince him to open up.

"Any particular reason you remembered?" She smiled at him, hoping to elicit a reaction, but again he seemed void of emotion.

"You're the first barmaid I've seen in here," He took a swig from the bottle, but he didn't walk away as she suspected he might. He sat at the bar, on one of the many stools, and made himself at home by removing his jacket.

Jenny was startled when she realised he perfectly matched the appearance of the man she knew to be George Weasley, and she was far too anxious to ask for his name. She was rather nervous to meet the allusive figure.

"Come here often, do you?" She questioned.

"Almost every day," He shrugged, and she frowned. She didn't have him labelled as an alcoholic, after all, he hadn't visited the pub for the last month, as far as she had noticed.

"There's nothing exciting enough happens in here to attract the same man every day," Jenny got to washing the bar, noting that it was one minute past closing time, and Tom the barman would be furious if he came in the following morning to find the place in disarray.

"I don't have anything exciting at home either, this place is slightly more interesting," The man took another drink from the bottle, and Jenny noticed he wasn't looking right at her.

"What's your name?" She finally asked, on one hand praying he would say any name other than the one she suspected he would, but on the other hoping she could finally pass on her message from Ron and move on with her life.

"My name is George," And with that, he met her eyes.