What My World Spins Around

Ninety-Three Diagon Alley

Christmas was upon England far quicker than George had anticipated. He had been dreading the winter, whether consciously or subconsciously, he wasn't sure.

He had so many memories, fond memories, of Christmas with his family. They never had much in the way of money, but they always had happiness, they always had love, and they always had laughter. He suspected the Burrow would be devoid of much laughter this Christmas, as the man who usually provided it was dead.

George had considered opening his shop back up, even for just a weekend before Christmas. If nothing else, he was running low on money, and he knew if he allowed customers in for a few days, he could make enough to see him through for a while.

He needed the distraction, as well as money. Fred was on his mind almost constantly, whenever it snowed he imagined when they were boys, building snowmen in their back garden, telling scary stories to their little siblings about children who were murdered by snowmen who came alive in the night.

Whenever he saw a Christmas Tree, he remembered how he and Fred were never allowed to decorate the main tree in their home, but how their mother had gone out specially one night and came home with a tiny plastic tree and a few baubles, just for the twins to decorate in their own room. He remembered how they would fight about who could place the last bauble.

He was envious of those who were out meeting up with friends and family, those who had been able to place the trauma of war to the back of their minds and simply move on with their life, making new memories to counteract the terror they'd experienced.

He didn't quite understand how it was possible, though he was starting to.

He and Jenny had gone from strength to strength since she confessed what she had experienced the night of the battle, and how the person George missed the most had saved the life of the person George now needed the most.

He had been trying to work out what to buy her for Christmas, and he couldn't decide. He could feel his feelings towards her growing more romantic by the day, every time he saw her he swore she somehow got more beautiful than the last time. He wasn't oblivious to the way her laugh had become his favourite song, the way her smile genuinely made him smile. He felt himself changing around her, growing stronger, braver, his life wasn't so shattered.

And that was why he stood where he did, at the front door of his shop, his big winter coat tight around his body, his hat pulled snug over his ears and his scarf pulled over his mouth. He wore three pairs of woollen socks, and he could no longer feel his feet. Not to mention he was shaking not just because of the cold, but because of his nerves.

He was waiting, you see, waiting for someone he hadn't seen for months. And she was due any minute.

"George!" A familiar voice called from his left, and as he looked, he felt a wave of comfort swarm him.

"Hermione!" He said, as she wrapped her arms around him and squeezed his torso. He knew she would be crying.

"How are you?" She asked, sniffing and rubbing her eyes as she pulled away, and he knew he had the Hermione he knew and loved stood before him.

"I'm getting there, you know? It's been hard," He shrugged, and she nodded.

"I can't begin to imagine. We've all missed you, so much," Hermione said, her voice laced with sympathy.

"How's everyone?" He asked.

"They're struggling, not hearing from you has been hard, they just want to hear your voice, see your face," He felt guilty at this.

"I want to see them too, I just feel like it's been too long," He said quietly.

"They'd welcome you home tomorrow," She assured, and he was grateful for that.

"So, why am I here?" She asked.

"I've met a girl," He responded.

"A girl?! How? When? Where? Who?"

"What is this, 21 questions? I met her at the Leaky Cauldron, a few months ago. She's a barmaid there. Her name is Jenny," Hermione was beaming.

"Oh, George! I'm so happy for you! She's lucky," Hermione was one of the few people George knew who was truly happy for everyone else's successes.

"She's not my girlfriend," George confirmed.

"Oh," Hermione said.

"Not yet," George couldn't help but smile.

"Is this why you need my help?" She asked.

"I need help picking out a Christmas present for her, one that'll tell her how I feel,"

"Say no more," And with that, Hermione dragged George around London all day long, and his spirits were lifted.