Footprints in the Sand

The Leaky Cauldron

A whole month had passed since Jenny had said what she said, and then ran from the shop like there was no tomorrow, never once looking back.

George had visited the Leaky Cauldron every single day since, hoping to catch her, and explain how he felt to her.

He wasn't angry. He could tell she assumed he would be, but she didn't give him the chance to explain that he just wanted to know what had happened, how had Fred saved her life?

He had seen her in the bar, but whenever he approached her she had hurried off to another customer or into the back room, she seemed terrified to even glance at him.

What she didn't understand, though, was that she had meant a great deal to him, in the short time he had known her. He meant everything he had said to her, about the way she had given his life meaning again.

Being apart from her had made him even fonder, and he just wanted to see her smile, to hear her voice.

And that's why he found himself sitting at the bar, unwilling to move until she spoke to him. He had been there all day, from opening, and it was now ten in the evening. He knew she was there, for he had seen her numerous times. He just hoped she would soon get the hint that he wasn't going to go anywhere.

Another half hour passed before his opportunity arose, and he was going to seize the opportunity or die trying.

"Jenny!" He called, as he noticed she was stood gazing into space, no customers or needless tasks to take away her attention.

"Jenny, please," His tone was pleading, and it had the desired effect as she turned towards him.

"George," He was relieved to hear his name on her lips, it sounded perfect and it was like tonic for him and his nerves.

"Can we talk?" George asked.

"I'm not sure," She shook her head.

"Look, I promise, I'm not mad," George insisted.

"I'm mad though," This confused George, as far as he could remember, he hadn't done anything that might make her mad. He knew this because he was always so careful not to do anything stupid that might even slightly risk upsetting her.

"What? What did I do?" He asked.

"Not you, me. I ruined your life," Jenny couldn't seem to meet his eye, and her statement made him more confused than ever.

"How? Look, I know I said some nice things to you Jenny, but you not talking to me hasn't ruined my life," He smiled, hoping to get one in return, but she only shook her head.

"No, dafty. Not that. I'm the reason Fred is dead," She said quietly, so quietly he wasn't sure he heard correct.

"Look, can we talk somewhere else, maybe? Privately? We can take a walk?" George asked, hoping being somewhere more quiet might calm her down.

"I get off in half an hour, we can go then," Jenny agreed, and George took a swig from his bottle, just pleased to have her company back in his life.