Don't Look Down

The Leaky Cauldron
Jenny was anxious.

More anxious than she had been for the job interview the month prior. More anxious than she remembered being as she arrived at Hogwarts School for the Battle.

She was watching the door with eager eyes, every time it swung open and someone entered, she was disappointed when it wasn't George.

She had slept poorly, her exchange with the red-haired man playing on her mind. She was intrigued by him and attracted to him. She didn't understand how she could feel so drawn to a man that she didn't know. He didn't even know her name yet.

Over an hour had passed since her shift had commenced, and though it was a Sunday, the bar was very busy. She worried that the bar stools would soon be full if George didn't hurry up.

But she needn't have worried, for the door opened soon after, and in he walked. It was the third time she had encountered him, and it was the first time his hood was down as he entered, and he didn't seem to be shying away from the world around him.

"You've shaved," She said simply as he sat down, and she reached behind her for a fire whisky.

"I figured it was about time," George responded, the hint of a smile on his face, which took her by surprise.

"You look good," She smiled, and she was being truthful. He did. She suspected that this wasn't uncommon.

"Thank you," He said.

The atmosphere was awkward, and Jenny wasn't certain why. Perhaps it was because it was almost arranged, they had agreed to meet up here, it wasn't as casual as it had been previously. There was also the issue of George looking as handsome as he did, she felt her hands grow clammy as she was suddenly aware of the small stain on her blouse, and the flyaways of her fringe in her eyes. She also wished she had applied a little more makeup.

"Why did you decide to come, then?" She questioned, leaning towards him with her elbows on the bar, for the bar was noisy.

"I needed to know your name," He responded. She gazed into his eyes and a smile flooded her face, his eyes were a stunning brown, so dark you might get lost in them if you look for too long.

"Needed? Not just wanted?" She questioned. She didn't know where her flirtatious confidence came from, but it always seemed to surface around him.

"Nope, I needed to know. I was too intrigued," He shrugged, and she appreciated his honesty. He was opening up, even if it wasn't about him.

"Any guesses?"

"It kept me up, but I couldn't think of the perfect name. I think you might suit something like Gabrielle," He stated, a curious gaze on his face.

"No, although it does start with a G," She hinted.

"Grace?"

"Nope,"

"Georgia?"

"No, although that would be quite funny, wouldn't it,"

"Gertrude,"

"No sir!"

"Oh I give up, I don't know,"

"You give up quick, don't you?" She teased, and he almost laughed, she could sense it on the tip of his tongue.

"I do, I'm weak," He shrugged, and she giggled.

"It's Genevieve," She hated her name. Truly, she did. So many people say it, but she really would change it to something more basic, if it wouldn't break her mothers heart.

"Genevieve? Is that French?" He pondered.

"It's German, actually. I go by Jenny, it's easier to pronounce," She explained, and he nodded.

"Is that why I don't recognise you? Did you go to Beauxbatons?" He questioned.

"For starters, Beauxbatons is not in Germany," She laughed, "But no, I'm just quiet, and from what I remember about the Weasley's, you weren't. And the not so quiet people don't usually notice the quiet people," Jenny shrugged.

"I'm sorry you felt that way, I promise I'm really not that popular anymore," George smiled. Although it was a small smile, it was genuine, and it made her heart sing. Why was she so obsessed with this boy? She didn't know him.

"I'm sure you're quite, if you'd only talk to your family members," Jenny hinted, and he rolled his eyes.

"Well worked, but still no chance," He retorted, and she sighed.

"Fine," She said.

"Besides, if I had seen you, I would have remembered. You're striking," Jenny was confused by his description. It could be positive, it could be negative.

"Striking?" She raised one eyebrow, conveying confusion.

"As in pretty. Very pretty," He blushed as he said it, and it was comforting to see a vulnerable side to him.

"Are you flirting, Mr Weasley?" She teased, and he went increasingly flushed.

"Is that wrong?" He asked.

"It depends on your intentions," She joked.

"I couldn't speak on those, not in front of a lady," Jenny broke out in laughter at his comment, and he smiled. His whole face was taken over by his smile, and she thought it was magical.

"You look nice when you smile, George," Jenny complimented.

"Are you flirting with me, Jenny?" George asked, and Jenny laughed once more.

For the second night in a row, the pair closed down the bar together, locking up before going their separate ways, Jenny apparating back to her own home, George taking a slow walk towards his joke shop, for the first time in months able to look up into the eyes of the statue above the shop, and smile at the image of his brother looking down at him, not feeling depressed but feeling optimistic.

For the second night in a row, Jenny and George found themselves in their own beds, completely separate from each other, both thinking of each other. Pondering each other's more intimate, delicate details and wondering what the future might hold, if only the next few months work out well.