Hold My Hand

Business was booming as the summer progressed, and it had brought George and Jenny that much closer together. The common interest and passion that they shared in the shop and its successes was only making the business flourish even more, as customers knew that when they visited the store, they were getting only the best service. 

"I want to close a bit earlier tonight," George approached Jenny through the waves of customers, having been searching for her for the best part of two hours. She was very short, and so trying to find her amongst the sea of people was no easy task. Plus, there was the added complication of him being stopped every three seconds by a customer with a question. 

"Why?" She questioned, turning to face him with a smile. 

"I want to take you out," He grinned, and she tilted her head slightly in confusion, the look on her face making the butterflies in his stomach come to life. Eight months they had been together, and she still had an overwhelming effect on him. 

"That sounds exciting! What for?" She asked. 

"I just think we've worked nonstop since we opened, it's about time I showed you how grateful I am," George explained. 

"You show me that quite often, Mr Weasley," Jenny said with a giggle, which made George blush as though he were fourteen.

"There's children around, Genevieve," He scolded, though the effect of his words was greatly diminished by the red tinge that still resided on his cheeks and the tips of his ears. 

"Ooh, full name treatment, I must have been bad," She said with a laugh. 

"Anyway! What do you say?" George took the conversation back on track, and she rolled her eyes at him. 

"God, eight months and the flirtatious spark is gone already. Yes, of course I'd love to go out with you," Jenny smiled up at him as he leaned down to place a kiss to the top of her head. 

"Splendid! We'll close at five, I've got a table booked for seven," And with that, George was gone, off to help more customers buy the perfect products to cause mayhem at Hogwarts when the school went back in a few weeks time. 

--------

It was nights such as these that Jenny wished that her friends were still alive, or her mother was still in good health. She hadn't been on a date with George for a few months and, truth be told, the spark was diminishing slightly. Not because she was falling out of love with him, or because they were no longer attracted to one another or didn't enjoy each others company. It just so happened that the shop had taken over both of their lives, they were completely overwhelmed by customers, products, finances, that their relationship had fallen down their list of priorities.

She simply couldn't decide what to wear. George hadn't actually specified where they were going, which Jenny hadn't realised until it was too late. And now she stood at home, browsing her wardrobe with no idea whether she was supposed to look for a dress, a skirt, a blouse and jeans. She simply didn't have a clue. 

"Weren't you supposed to leave five minutes ago?" Mel called from the hallway, and Jenny's eyes lit up. 

"Melanie you beautiful woman! Get in here," She had forgotten Mel was here, and she knew she would know what to do. 

"I know I'm great but you've never greeted me like that before, what is it?" Mel bounded through the bedroom door, and her jaw dropped to the floor at the site. 

"I know, it is a bit messy," Jenny said, biting her lip in shame. 

"A bit?! Did a tornado come through here?" Mel gasped. 

"I have a date tonight, George didn't tell me where he's taking me, I have nothing to wear!" Jenny floundered. 

"Well, where does he normally take you?" Mel questioned.

"He hasn't. We've been to the Leaky Cauldron, and we've been on walks around London," Jenny shrugged.

"Wow, he sounds romantic," Mel rolled her eyes.

"Well, we apologise. The trauma of our personal losses have really hindered our ability to develop a normal relationship," Mel stuck her tongue out in retaliation to Jenny's dry humour. 

"Right, well, since you're already five minutes late, you can wear these, and no arguing," Mel picked out a blue blouse and black jeans from her wardrobe.

"I could have done that!" Jenny huffed, grabbing the clothes from Mel's hands.

"Less of the cheek, I'm staying here longer tonight watching your mother, free of charge!" Mel shouted at she left the room.

"And I love you eternally!" Jenny replied. 

--------

"You look beautiful," George said, and Jenny blushed. 

"You've said that a million times since we got here," She laughed. 

"I just want you to know that I mean it," He smiled. 

The night had been everything Jenny dreamed of when she was growing up. She felt as if she was sitting opposite the man of her dreams, he was loving, caring, loyal, funny, hard-working. And he made her feel special, all of the time. Every day with him made her feel luckier than the day before.

He had taken her to a Muggle restaurant in the city, which had made her slightly nervous at first, she knew George didn't have much experience in the Muggle world. However, she figured he had spoken to Hermione, as he was very confident, even with the currency. They had eaten good food and drank probably a few too many cocktails, and though Jenny knew she needed to get back and relieve Mel of her duties, she couldn't tear herself away from George. 

"I have to tell you something," She wasn't sure if it was the cocktails or the atmosphere in the air that had given her the sudden burst of confidence, but she felt the urge to confess her true feelings to him, then and there. 

"Yes?" He looked up at her, and the twinkle in his eye made her want to cry. She had never been more attracted to somebody, inside and out. 

"I never thought I would find happiness again, after everything that happened during the war. Hell, I never thought I'd ever find a happiness like the one I feel when I'm with you. Nothing compares to it. Working with you every day, seeing your passion for the thing you love, there's nothing quite like it, and to be honest every single day since I met you I've been falling for you harder and harder. I've known for a long time now, and I should have said it months ago, but I didn't want to jinx it, or scare you away. I know how much you've been through, and I know how scared you've been to love someone again. But I love you. I love you so much, you've made my life so beautiful again, and I love you more than I ever knew I could love anything," Jenny took a deep breath when she finished her monologue, hoping she had said the right thing, hoping George wouldn't be scared by her feelings for him. 

But when she did look back at him, she was surprised to find a huge grin plastered across his face, tears in his eyes, and a solitary tear rolling down his right cheek, which he seemed to be in no rush to wipe away. 

"Genevieve Crawford, I love you so bloody much," His voice was choked as he leaned over to kiss her, but he never quite got there. Jenny's phone rang, and though she didn't want to answer it, she knew Mel was probably needing her back. She stifled a laugh as George jumped at the sound of her ringtone, he never could seem to get used to Muggle contraptions such as televisions and mobile phones. 

"Sorry, I have to answer, it's Mel," Jenny smiled, her face full of apology, as she placed the phone to her ear.

"Everything okay, Mel? I know I'm late but-" 

"Jen, you need to come home, now. She's not well. Not well at all,"