Just To See You Smile

The Leaky Cauldron

Jenny. Her name was Jenny.

It was perfect.

George wouldn't determine how the name Jenny hadn't popped into his head earlier, now that he knew that was her name, it all made sense. Everything was starting to make sense. The world was suddenly a little bit brighter.

He had made a joke. It had been five months of boredom, and of misery, and a girl he had spoken to three times had uncovered his fun side, his cheeky side.

George felt more like himself than he had done in many months, he could feel his zest for life seeping back into his skin, ever so slowly.

Talking to Jenny felt natural, it felt as if they had known one another for so many years, when really it had been two days.

For the third day in a row, George bounded to the bar with a spring of sorts in his step, and he wasn't distracted, hood up and head down, anxious that he would be recognised. He was confident and upbeat. How had she done this to him so quickly? Why hadn't he met this angel before?

He entered the bar, the warmth welcoming, as Autumn was rapidly upon them, and the air was bitter once the sun was set. It wasn't so busy, with it being a Monday evening, although one could hardly label it empty.

There she was.

Stood behind the bar, chatting to what seemed to be a lonely old wizard, who was looking for someone to reminisce to, and of course Jenny was happy to oblige, she was just that kind.

George didn't want to interfere, and decided to wait until she was finished, but it seemed that she had already noticed his presence, as the smile on her face grew ever so slightly, and he noticed her eyes moving to glance at him every so often.

"Oh, yes, I was in Ravenclaw as well!" He heard her chuckle, and though he had no clue what she was discussing, her laughter felt contagious and it made him want to laugh along. Christ, he was absolutely whipped. Fred would be ashamed.

At the thought, he felt his positive mood beginning to slip away, memories of his twin flooding back and taking over. He felt sad and deflated once more. In the past, he'd probably have already introduced Fred to Jenny, and Fred would be teasing him for being so obsessed with her, but he'd also be writing his best man speech, as he always did. George caught on after a while that he was simply rewriting the same speech, just changing the name out and a few small details to fit each girl George crushed on at school.

He realised more each passing day that he would never stop missing his brother, his best friend, his confidant.

But he also realised that he missed the rest of his family. He knew Ron would take over Fred's role of teasing George about girls, mocking him, and he knew Ginny would gush about how beautiful Jenny would look in a wedding gown, and asking if she could be the bridesmaid. He knew his mother would want to meet her yesterday, and his father would want her to call him Dad, as he did with Fleur.

"Penny for your thoughts, Weasley?" Her voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

"What?" He jumped slightly.

"It's a Muggle saying," She giggled, unknowingly reinforcing his idea that his father would love her.

"Oh, sorry, I was on another planet," He vowed to give her his full attention for the remainder of the evening.

"Yeah? Which one?" She enquired.

"Venus," He responded.

"Why Venus?" She asked.

"That's where all the women come from," He shrugged, and she rolled her eyes.

"I didn't have you down as a lady's man, George," She tutted.

"Why? Is that a problem?"

"No, you're at full liberty to do whatever you want," She said.

"So, Ravenclaw," George began, noting her conversation with the old man from when he had first arrived.

"That's me, how did you know?" She asked.

"I was eavesdropping. So you're smart then?" George had always admired those from Ravenclaw, how they ever got into their own common room was beyond him.

"Not to my knowledge, no. I never felt I belonged in any of the houses to be honest," Jenny stated.

"You would fit into Hufflepuff, I think," George inferred.

"I always imagined I would be in Hufflepuff, I like badgers. And the colour yellow," George laughed at her innocence.

"I think it's about a bit more than the house mascot and colours, Jenny," It was the first time he had said her name, and he enjoyed the way it felt when he said it. He would quite like to use it for some time to come, if he didn't push her away before then.

"Yes, but it certainly helps. I'd have hated to be a Slytherin, because I'm scared of snakes and I imagine their common room is riddled with them," She furrowed her eyebrows as George began to laugh, surprising even himself.

"What's funny?" She asked.

"Did you not intend to make that joke?" He asked, still chuckling, her own confusion making it even funnier.

"I didn't make a joke!" She insisted.

"You did! You were talking about Slytherin and snakes and you said riddled - as in Tom!" He laughed, and it intensified as she joined him.

"I'm so funny I don't even realise it sometimes," She said, once the pair had finally stopped laughing. George hadn't laughed in such a long time, it almost pained abdominal muscles to make the unfamiliar movements, but it felt good.

"I own a joke shop," The words blurted out, and Jenny stopped laughing. George wanted to kick himself, it was the first personal thing about himself he had told her, and he hadn't even intended to.

"I knew I recognised you! You're the big statue on the shop at the end of Diagon Alley!" She exclaimed, pointing at him.

"That's me," He chose not to let her know he actually felt it looked more like Fred, as he didn't really wanted to explain who on earth Fred was.

"You must show me around!" She seemed giddy with excitement.

"Oh, I can't," George shook his head, and Jenny looked crestfallen.

"Why not?" She asked, poking out her bottom lip in sadness, making him melt, and making him feel incredibly guilty.

"It hasn't been open for over a year, we closed it during the war," George said.

"Why not reopen?" She asked.

"It's complicated," He responded.

"Well even if it's shut, can you show me around? Not now, another time,"

"Sure," He wanted to kick himself, he hadn't set foot in the joke shop in so long, and he knew every item contained a cartoon image of himself, and also of Fred. And he knew when she saw it, he would have to explain who Fred was. Who Fred is.

But it was that look on her face, the glint of hope that flooded her big blue eyes, that made him say yes. He'd do almost anything just to see her smile.