The Good Ones

"Do I look okay?" Jenny and George were sat in the flat, and both were nervous.

For George, it was the second time he had seen his parents in eleven months. The first time wasn't particularly smooth sailing, he had felt a bit uncomfortable and anxious and this was no different.

For Jenny, she was finally meeting her boyfriends parents for the first time. George had told her all about how really, Mrs Weasley hadn't particularly been fond of her first daughter-in-law, his eldest brothers wife, and how she was only loving towards his youngest brothers girlfriend because she had known that girlfriend since she was small.

Fair to say, neither were excited for this activity.

"Jenny I've told you. You look beautiful," George insisted, but it didn't make Jenny any less anxious.

"But what if she doesn't like my outfit?" Jenny asked.

"Why wouldn't she like your outfit? It's a nice top, and some jeans. It's hardly unique," George pointed out.

"Oh, brilliant! So now you're saying I look like your average Joe?" Jenny panicked.

"No, of course I'm not. I'm saying you look like your average Jenny," George joked, but it didn't land very well.

"Now is not the time for joking, Georgina!" Jenny scolded.

"Woah, Georgina?!" George rounded on her.

"It just slipped out, I don't know, I'm stressed!" Jenny shrieked.

"Why are you stressed? They're going to love you!" George insisted.

"You don't even love me!" Jenny argued.

"Who said I don't love you?" George asked.

"Well, do you?" Jenny wondered. They had only been together for three and a half months, and neither had said that word yet.

"Is this a conversation you want to have right before my parents arrive?" George laughed.

"Not really, no," Jenny surrendered, and she went back to pacing the flat back and forth.

And then, there came a knock at the door.

"Oh dear Merlin, I'm jumping out the window," Jenny felt sick to her stomach, she couldn't do this, she had to leave.

"Don't be ridiculous, Jen," George laughed, walking away to answer the door.

Jenny felt faint, as she stood taking deep breaths, in and out, out and in.

Footsteps moved closer and closer, and her heart was surely about to fall out of her mouth.

And then, George and his parents were in the room.

Jenny was certain they could sense her fear, she must have been entirely pale by this point, her eyes wide like a deer in the headlights, worried she was about to get brutally run over by Mr and Mrs Weasley.

"Mum, Dad, I'd like you to meet Genevieve Crawford," George beamed as he introduced her, stepping to the side to allow his parents to approach her.

"Please, call me Jenny," Jenny panted, not really knowing why she was so out of breath, but blaming it on the pacing, so as not to admit that she had been so nervous she had caused herself to hold her breath.

"I'm Molly, and this is my husband, Arthur," Mrs Weasley hurried towards Jenny, and though Jenny had held out her hand politely, it was swatted away as Mrs Weasley pulled her in, smothering her in a hug. The sort of motherly hug that Jenny hadn't received for some time.

"It's lovely to meet you," Jenny smiled as the pair pulled away, and she was able to shake Mr Weasley's hand.

"So you are...?" Mr Weasley asked, his voice trailing off as he glanced at George, not wanting to make assumptions about the young pair.

"She's my girlfriend, Dad," Jenny had been worried George would be embarrassed, or ashamed, maybe tell his parents she was a friend, or worse a business partner. But she noted the pride in his voice, and she couldn't help the grin that appeared on her face, or the swelling she felt in her heart.

"Oh!" Mrs Weasley gasped.

"Mum?" George asked, frowning.

"It's just - is this the girl?" She asked, a hand over her mouth.

"What girl?" George questioned.

"Oh! The girl! The one who made you smile, the one who convinced you to come and visit!" Mrs Weasley was positively beaming by this point, realisation finally hitting her, two plus two finally making four.

"Yes, that's her," George smiled at the memory.

"Oh dear, I have no words with which to thank you for fixing my boy," Mrs Weasley took Jenny's hands within her own.

"He didn't need fixing, he just needed a hand to hold," Jenny said to Mrs Weasley, all the while looking at George, who was watching his mother and his girlfriend with a bigger smile than Jenny had ever seen.

She concluded in that moment, their discussion from before his parents arrived was resolved. She definitely loved him. More than she could fathom. And she was fairly certain, he loved her right back.