God Gave Me You

"Are you happy now?" Lottie spoke, not looking up from her book as the front door slammed shut. Her partner, Fred, had left the flat hours before, off to see his brother.

The afterlife wasn't much like any of them had been raised to expect. Of course, the basic element of there being a life after death existed, but it was quite literally just like living in the real world. The only difference is, everyone in their world was deceased.

The other big difference was the lack of younger people. Finding love in the afterlife was a challenge, because naturally most people who lived there had lived a full life, and died of old age.

You did age, following death, but it was excruciatingly slow. For some, that's a blessing. For others, a curse.

Having magical abilities was a great positive, as it meant that those who had passed away were able to visit their living relatives. Which is where Fred had been for the last twelve hours, watching his family celebrate the New Year.

"Oh Lottie you should have been there! Next time, please come," Fred had begged Lottie to go and visit his family, and notably her living best friend, since they had died in May of 1998. It was now January of 2000, and she still had not.

"I told you, it feels too nosey," Lottie looked up at him, and allowed a smile to take over her face. "She said yes, didn't she?!"

"You bet she did!" The pair shrieked like excited children, and felt that they could finally breathe a sigh of relief, knowing George and Jenny had one another forever now, they were finally recovering from their trauma.

"What was it like?" Lottie asked, unable to  resist knowing. She might not have wanted to actively watch, but she sure as hell wanted to hear the gossip afterwards.

"Don't you want to wait for Lily to get here? You know she wanted to hear," Fred pointed out, and Lottie gestured towards the kitchen.

"I'm here! Just making some tea, for the tea, won't be a moment," The voice of Lily Potter called from their small kitchen, and Fred rolled his eyes. Lily, though she had been murdered in 1981, had hardly aged a year in the years since, due to the aforementioned 'not ageing'.

She was pretty much best friends with Lottie and her other friend, Kelly, who had also gone to school with her and Jenny. She was almost always at Fred and Lottie's home, especially when her husband James was away with his friend Sirius, which he often was.

"And what about Kelly?" Fred asked, and Lottie pointed above her, to where their toilet is located.

"Naturally,"

Five minutes passed before all three women were sat before him, mugs of tea in hand and an eager look in their eyes, waiting to hear the news they had waited months to hear.

"It was beautiful, perfect. Exactly what they would have wanted. Outdoors, alone, at New Year, the whole family there to celebrate with them when they went inside. There were tears, there was love," Fred gushed, and the women cooed.

"Did you cry, Freddie?" Kelly laughed, and Fred frowned.

"Of course I did, my brother just got engaged to my girlfriends best friend, it was very moving," He stated, matter-of-factly.

"One of your girlfriends best friends," Kelly protested, and Fred stuck his tongue out in her direction.

"Lottie was the best one," He countered, and she mocked offence at the comment.

"When do you think they'll get married?" Lily asked, and Fred thought about it for a moment.

"Soon, I think. He really loves her, he won't want to wait around," What Fred didn't say, was that he was also thinking about his own feelings for Lottie, who was too consumed in her happiness for her friend to notice the look in his eyes. However, Lily wasn't.

"Well, hopefully he sticks to his word, because I think she's waiting too," She smirked at him, and he grinned back. Little did she know, the ring was sat in his bedside cabinet, right above his head.