Still Yours

She waited for a few hours, before she decided he had been in Fred's flat for long enough, and the longer he stayed there the more she worried. She knew it was a risky move for him to even go. 

For all he appeared healed on the outside, she knew internally his heart was covered in cracks, wounds, bruises. There were plasters covering the holes, but every so often they needed replaced, when they grew weary and fell off. 

He had lost his soulmate, and she knew she could never truly understand how empty he felt when he looked into the mirror and realised he was no longer identical to someone else, nobody was ever going to call him 'Fred' by accident anymore, because there was no Fred to confuse him with. 

She wasn't sure what to expect when she pushed the door open. But for some reason, despite the fact it made so much sense, she wasn't expecting to find the sight she found. It broke her heart more than she was prepared for.

Because there was the love of her life, the man who made her world turn, the biggest light she had ever known, completely diminished and broken on the floor. She had never seen someone so completely devastated, and it took her a moment to realise that she needed to spring into action.

"George," Her voice came out in a shaky whisper, not at all portraying the strength and stability she wanted to provide for him. He didn't even flinch at her voice, the sobs still racking his body.

She didn't know what to say, and she figured he likely didn't want her to say anything, and so she just sat down beside him. The flat was cold, so cold, which was to be expected after it had been completely empty for so long, but neither of them noticed as she did her best to wrap him in her arms. 

He collapsed into her, his head on her shoulder as he allowed the tears to continue to fall. He wasn't a big crier, he wasn't very emotional at all as far as Jenny knew, he didn't even like to allow his feelings to take hold even when he was alone and vulnerable. But, understandably, seeing his twin brother's flat completely deserted and dust covered was too much for him to cope with. 

Seconds, minutes, hours, Jenny didn't really know how long they had spent lying like that on the floor of the flat, but she did know that after some time the sobs had lessened to cries, and eventually he had silenced, and even the occasional sniffles had dried up. 

It took a while longer after that for him to finally come back to life and look at her face, and she thought she would never be able to breathe again when she saw the expression on his face. It was indescribable, the complete mixture of heartbreak, of sadness, of relief, and of what she could only describe as - joy?

Yes. He looked happy. In a very strange way, he looked happy. And it was only then that she realised he could have found absolutely anything in that little flat. 

"What is it?" She asked, knowing by the look in his eyes that there was something he wanted to tell her. 

He didn't say anything, but he handed her a crumpled up piece of old parchment, only confusing her even further. It had been in his hands the entire time, clutched to his chest so tightly, it was impossible to believe the parchment had ever been in good condition.

He nodded to her, gesturing that she was allowed to read it, and so she did. 

It took her a minute to read the letter in its entirety, and a further few minutes to digest what it was, and what it had said. She felt stunned by it, she could hardly imagine the way George was feeling. 

"Oh my God..." She eventually said, and he nodded, a smile finally taking over his face. 

"Closure," He managed to utter one word, and the relief in his face was mesmerising. It was something that so many people in the world crave when someone they love dies, yet so few are able to get it. It seemed unthinkable that so many months later, George would be able to finally get a goodbye from his best friend, but there they sat, with exactly that sat in her hands. 

"Where was it?" She asked, and he nodded towards the kitchen bench, where the letter had sat for seventeen months, collecting dust, and waiting for the right moment. 

"It's just as if he knew, isn't it? It's as if he knew when the time was right, and he knew when you'd need to hear it," Jenny's eyes flickered back over the words Fred had written so many months before, wondering what he must have been feeling when had written them. 

And little did she know, every word she spoke was completely and utterly true. 

--------

So very far away from where Jenny sat in the darkness of Fred Weasley's old residence, one hand clutching the handwritten note from her boyfriend's dead twin, the other stroking George's hair in an effort to provide him further comfort, there sat another girl. 

"What are you smiling at?" She asked, knowing the look on the boys face so very well, it was a look she had witnessed more times than she could count over the previous year.

"He got it!" The redheaded boy grinned up down at her, and she furrowed her brows with curiosity. 

"He got what, exactly?" She asked, and his grin only grew wider. 

"My letter," Fred Weasley was positively beaming by this point, and Lottie Fielding only grew more confused. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked. 

"The letter that I wrote for Georgie, the day of the battle," He smirked at her, and she shook her head.

"You didn't write a letter the day of the battle, Fred," She pointed out, and he nodded.

"Yes dear, that's precisely the point. I wrote the letter last week, I knew he'd find it eventually," He explained, and it started to make a little bit of sense to her. 

"So... Let me just get this straight, in my own mind. You wrote a letter to your still alive brother, which you pretended was written the night you died, but was actually written almost a year and a half after your death, and you delivered it into your old flat, because you just knew he would go and see it now?" She clarified, and he nodded.

"All correct. It took a lot of my magic," He shuddered.

"Oh my god! Is this why you slept all of last Wednesday and missed brunch?!" She gasped, the story finally making complete sense. 

"It may have been, but wasn't it worth it? He feels much better," He shrugged.

"You surely haven't been back to see him again have you? You'll have no bloody magic left, Weasley," She scolded, and he was glad to have found a girlfriend in death who nagged him even more than his mother, somehow. 

"No! Of course not, I just know," He said. 

"Why did you do this, can I just ask?" She questioned, and he smirked once again.

"Because, don't you think it's about time my brother took the next step with your best friend?"