Chasing Cars

Jenny visited the Healer at St Mungo's soon after she had told George about the little miracle growing within her, and she discovered that she was barely two months gone in her pregnancy.

She was further along than most when they found out, but she had chalked that down to the chaotic nature of the shop and how busy she and George had been.

The Healers had requested that she return in a month for a twelve-week checkup, which would determine the growth and status of their baby, and she and George were entirely beside themselves with nerves to hear the condition of their unborn baby.

"What if it's twins?" George joked as the pair readied for the day, and though he attempted to make light of the situation, he was nervous, and that was evident by the way he played with his hands like they were about to fall off his arms.

"That's not funny!" Jenny tried to laugh off the comment, but she was all too aware that there was always a possibility.

"I was just thinking, once we know the baby is okay, and growing, we should maybe pop home to tell the family," George suggested, and the mere thought made Jenny feel a little light headed.

She had told Ginny and Hermione, two of her baby's Auntie's, as they had been there when she had taken the test, but she was beyond worried about what the rest of the family would think.

Mr and Mrs Weasley, for all they were wonderful people, they were traditional, and Jenny was worried that they wouldn't be as excited as George wanted them to be about the impending arrival. Or, arrivals.

They had been thrilled to welcome Teddy Lupin, George had mentioned how Mrs Weasley had doted on Tonks when she was pregnant, and how due to the war, she had been the one to deliver the little boy, who she now saw as a grandson of her own.

And she had seen for herself how Mrs Weasley blossomed in her role as a biological Grandmother to baby Victoire, how thrilled she was to hear that Bill and Fleur were having a baby.

But the difference was she and George were not married, and she was concerned that Mrs Weasley would not approve. And the thought of Mrs Weasley, the only mother figure she had in her life, not approving of her having a baby with George, it almost made her break down right then.

"What's wrong?" George asked, when Jenny hadn't responded for some time.

"I'm just worried she won't be happy," Jenny shrugged. "Your Mum,"

"That's ridiculous!" George objected. "She'll be over the moon,"

Though Jenny still didn't feel content with his reassurance, the pair headed to St Mungo's, hand in hand, both of them thinking of the little plum-sized being they loved so very much.

As Jenny lay on the table in the hospital, she was simply praying for a healthy baby, surprised how quickly she had developed a feeling of unconditional love for someone she had never met, and who was barely the length of her own thumb.

George sensed the nerves radiating from her, as he took her hand in his, placing a small kiss to her knuckles, which went some way to displacing the nerves in her stomach, though nowhere near removing them entirely. 

Truth be told, he was equally as nervous as she was. They had both lost so much, so early, and he knew deep down that neither he nor Jenny would cope if they were told that things weren't completely perfect with their baby. He was doing his best to stay strong for her, knowing very well that she didn't need him to break down alongside her, but Merlin, it was difficult. 

"Sorry that took so long!" The Healer who had initially shown them to their room returned, after what felt like an eternity away, but in reality it was likely only moments. 

"Not to worry," Jenny politely smiled at the woman, though George felt the grip on his hand strengthen slightly, his fiancee evidently unhappy at being made to wait to see her baby for the first time. 

"Now, this appointment really shouldn't take very long at all," The Healer explained, taking a seat beside the table Jenny was laying on and removing her wand from her robes. "Healthcare has advanced a great deal in recent times, where before it used to be quite a challenge to get a clear image of inside a witches womb, we now ask you to drink this potion, and it makes it a very simple process," 

The Healer reached over to a table behind Jenny's head and took hold of a small beaker, which contained an opaque liquid, which seemed to have a dull sparkle to it. She handed it to Jenny with a warm smile on her face, and though Jenny trusted the woman before her, she had been extra cautious since finding out about her pregnancy. 

"This is definitely, one hundred per cent safe?" Jenny looked at the glass in her hand, and made eye contact with the Healer, who nodded. 

"Come on, love," George laughed lightly. "She's a Healer, she's not trying to poison you," 

"It's perfectly normal to be more conscious of what you're putting into your body when it doesn't simply impact you anymore," The Healer explained. "But I assure you, it is more than safe, it just allows a clearer image,"

Jenny nodded in response, before downing the liquid in one go. The sensation was bizarre, to say the least. The warmth she felt in what she assumed to be her womb, was incredible. She was barely listening when the Healer cast a spell, her wand pointed in the direction of her stomach. 

And that was when everything in the world seemed to make sense, for the first time in such a long time. 

Floating above her stomach, right in her eye-line, was a black and white, three-dimensional image of the inside of her abdomen. She was finally laying eyes on the most perfect thing she could have ever imagined. 

"Merlin..." Was all Jenny could say, tears filling her eyes, as her hand reached her mouth. 

"I'm sorry," George's voice was little more than a whisper, but he was leaning forward, as if inspecting the image further. "Is that... Is that what I think it is?" 

Jenny was about to interject, to tell him that yes, of course that was the baby, but then she noticed it as well. 

"You'd be correct, sir. That's two little babies. And by looking at them, I'd say with a strong degree of confidence that they're incredibly healthy little babies," Jenny could hardly digest what she was hearing. Two? Twins? 

"Twins?" She gasped, watching as two little heartbeats fluttered before her. Within her. 

"That's correct, yes," The Healer leaned in slightly. "Identical, you're in for some fun," 

"I'm an identical twin, too," George said, and Jenny looked up at him, wondering what his reaction was. The grin on his face said all she needed to hear. 

He looked down at her, and they had to laugh as they realised they were both crying their eyes out. They had hardly allowed the information that they were going to become parents to one baby sink on, and now they were going to have to try and accept that there were going to be two infants joining their little family.

"You ready for this?" George laughed, placing a kiss to her forehead. 

"I don't know if I would ever be ready to raise two of you," She sighed. "I think I might need some advice from Molly for this one,"