Turning Page

Nerves.

That was the first emotion Jenny felt when she opened her eyes on the morning of her wedding day.

31st of December 2000.

Excitement.

That was the second emotion Jenny felt when she opened her eyes on the morning of the day she was going to commit to spending every day of the rest of her life beside her best friend in the world.

And the smile that encompassed her face was bigger than ever before.

For the first time in a long while, the babies hadn't kept her up all night with their wriggling, and they had steered clear of pressing onto her bladder, which meant she was able to sleep a full night.

She was grateful for this, she would need it for the festivities that were to follow.

"Get up!" The door to the bedroom burst open, and Hermione entered, eyes wide, hair bushy, grin huge.

"Five minutes," Jenny laughed. "I need to adjust to the day. What time is it?"

"It's already seven! We've missed so much preparation time!" She was frantic, as she always was when she was stressed, but she was happy.

"Are you not hungover?" Jenny enquired, and Hermione shook her head.

"Course not, I didn't drink," She stated, as though it were obvious. "I will let my hair down tonight, but someone needed to be sober to help you!"

A pang of sadness in Jenny's heart couldn't be ignored. She was grateful to have Hermione, as well as the other women. But they were all George's. She had none of her own. Her mother should be here, stressing and steaming her wedding dress for the millionth time. Lottie and Kelly should have been her two bridesmaids, drinking too much Prosecco and stumbling down the aisle behind her.

They had always discussed what their wedding days would look like, but she had never imagined two of the three wouldn't ever be able to get married.

She didn't like to dwell on how much she had lost, not every day. It was enough to drown a person if they focussed enough on the sadness. She instead chose to be thankful for what she did have, but on days such as her wedding, it was impossible not to reflect.

Still, she was very lucky. She had more bridesmaids than she could have dreamed of. Fleur, Audrey, Hermione and Ginny were all going to be stood by her side as she said her vows. She had the most handsome pageboy in Teddy, and the prettiest little flower girl in Victoire.

"What's wrong?" Hermione's brow furrowed as she realised Jenny had gone silent.

"I'm just thinking," Jenny said. "Of the people who aren't here,"

"Oh," Was all Hermione said, and she paused for a moment as though she was trying to think of how to comfort the girl, without making her wedding day more depressing. "I like to think they are here, we just can't see them,"

"Yeah?" Jenny asked, and Hermione nodded.

"We all lost a lot. During the war, I mean," She started. "Remus, Tonks, Mad-Eye, Dumbledore... Fred. But there's just no way they're not here with us. They wouldn't miss this, not for anything. They all loved George. Especially Fred, Fred wouldn't skip out on his brothers wedding,"

"I just wish I'd known him," Jenny smiled sadly, trying to blink back the tears that threatened to spill. This was not how she wanted her wedding morning to go.

"He would have loved you," Hermione approached the bed, sitting beside Jenny and wrapping her arms around her. "He would have preferred you to George,"

"Right as ever, Granger," The boy with the red hair stood, his best suit and tie on, as he prepared for the biggest day of his twin brothers life. He wouldn't have missed that, not for the world.