Denial.

"Hi!"

"Oh, you're back!" Harley replied from her bedroom. 

Cat took off the heart-shaped sunglasses. "This happened before, right? Just that it was my brother's apartment and you were not announcing yourself out loud."

Harley appeared in the living room holding a box. "Happy's moving out."

She left her bag on the table and walked to her room, where Happy was packing his clothing. 

"What are you doing here?" The man welcomed her with a hug.

"This is my apartment," Cat smirked.

"I thought you were staying with Murdock!"

"Yeah, I thought the same," Harley raised a brow.

Cat hadn't told them about her job. "I'm here to get more clothes, I've been using Matt's shirts for weeks! Not for weeks nonstop, I'm not a pig— I came to get proper pj's, don't mind me."

"Is Matthew waiting outside?"

"He's at work," Cat replied. "Why?"

Harley and Happy shared a look, Harley rolled his eyes, took the cardboard box away, and left them not without giving Cat a look that seemed to say "Prepare yourself". 

Happy lowered his voice. "I just wanna make sure you're okay."

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Happy..."

"What's that in your arm?"

Cat had a scratch there, she grimaced. "You know I have claws and I can't control myself when I'm asleep," the mutant gave him a look. "You know better than to think I'd let anyone hurt me."

"When you were in high school—"

"That was a decade ago!" She snorted. "I come here and you doubt my relationship, I go there and Matthew thinks I want to leave him—"

"You're leaving Matthew?" Harley came back into the room. 

"No!" Cat grabbed a fistful of her curls and pulled in frustration. "Forget it, okay?"

She searched through her drawers, Harley nudged Happy's knee and gestured toward Cat demanding him to say something. "Cat... I didn't mean to upset you." Happy glanced at Harley. "I guess... I'm feeling a little... ignored."

Harley left the room again. Cat straightened in place and stared at Happy. "Ignored?"

"It feels like all you wanna do is spend time with your boyfriend. You used to visit me, then you stopped working as an Avenger, and now that you have time I never see you..."

Cat ran both hands up and down her face, a heavy sigh leaving her. "I can't be with you all the time, Happy. I'm not fifteen anymore."

"I feel like I don't even know you nowadays! Morgan hasn't seen you in almost two years, Pepper hasn't heard from you at all, and Harley—"

"Is in the living room," Cat didn't look at him, grabbing clothes at random. "I can't be sorry for growing up. I'll visit you, but I won't promise it'll stick. I'm trying to find my place, Matthew understands that, why can't you?"

"Matthew isn't your family."

"Neither are you."

A thick silence surrounded them, in the living room she heard Harley whistling lowly. Happy opened his mouth but nothing came out of it, he blinked, then cleared his throat and got up.

"You're right."

Cat felt a sting of regret. "You met me when I was fifteen... and you didn't do lotta work, I was fully made by then."