A Distraction.

Cat decided to enter Matthew's apartment through the front door instead of using her superpowers. It felt good after a week of being a genderswapping, multitasking secret agent.

She dropped her bag on the hall and didn't announce herself, believing Matt was at work, but then she saw movement out of the corner of her eye and stared at the figure, unable to say a word.

"I'm not late this time," he smiled.

"You're early."

"I had a hunch," he leaned on the counter. "And Harley called me saying you were back."

"Harley has your number? How did that happen?" Cat frowned.

"He was looking for you one day, so I gave him my number in case of emergencies."

So that's how he'd known Cat didn't spend all her time with Matthew. Harley was a sneaky guy, Tony would be proud. 

"You made all this in just an hour?" She pointed at the food on the table.

He laughed. "No, I stopped by your favorite restaurant and got you dinner."

"Did I forget something?" Cat tried to remember if that day was anything special.

Matt took off his glasses and approached her. "I just wanted to do something nice."

"Oh. Wow. Thank you." The young woman tried to add a bit more to her. "I'm not shocked in an excessive manner like— you've done this before—"

"It's been a while," he agreed without having to hear it. "I figured you'd want to rest after being away for so long."

"I like it," she said, cupping his cheek. "This is so sweet..."

He shook his head a little. "Don't mention it."

"I'll take a shower first if that's okay with you?"

"I'll put the food in the oven."

"I'll be right back."

"I'll be right here," Matt replied, looking pleased with himself.

***

"I cut my hair thinking it would dry faster..." Cat placed the towel on the back of a chair and ruffled her curls. "That was a mistake."

Matthew lifted his face, a smile adorning his expression. "I thought you'd cut it because it kept getting in the way?"

"Curls get fluffier the shorter you cut them, I didn't know that. I used to keep it at waist-length so my hair was only kinda wavy, when I was in space I cut it all because it wouldn't dry, so I didn't know my hair could be like this. It's just— it's a mess."

Matt sat at the table and pulled back the chair next to him. "I'm sure it looks fine."

"I look great. It's hot. It's my whole personality," she responded. "It's a nuisance."

He grinned. "How come?"

She dragged her chair closer to him and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Can we pretend we're a couple of New Yorkers that complain about work every night, and on their date night they do anything but?"

He took a swig of his beer. "Got any ideas?"

"Happy's moving out," she shifted on her seat, sitting straight. "I'll visit his place next week."

"I suppose I'm not invited?" He teased.

"You can come but you won't be the guest start," she retorted playfully.

"This is weird. Usually, parents love me."

"You've had lots of experience meeting the parents?"

The man chuckled. "Foggy's parents."